Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mesa Police Athletic 3 Gun

The Mesa Police/Fire Athletic Foundation (www.mesapfgames.org) is hosting a pistol match and 3 gun match the week after SMM3G. The pistol match is March 16, 06 the 3 gun on Mar. 17, 06. Both events are at the Rio Salado Sportsman CLub. It is only open to LEO (including prosecutors, feds, cops, sheriffs, game wardens) and firemen.

I am the match director of the 3 gun event which is loosely modeled on Kyle Lamb's North American Tactical. The match will consist of 4 stages and a 3 man team event. There are 2 divisions for medals: tac iron and tac scope. The prize table is heads up - no distinction in class but since the farthest shot is 75 yards, irons are at no real disadvantage. At this point the stages include one pistol/shotgun, one involving all 3 weapons, one rifle only and one rifle and/or pistol.

It is not an IPSC match and there is no open class. The equipment rules are on the webpage. Tacscope class DOES allow multiple optics, not that they're needed. The rules are what I, the match dictator I mean director says is "tactical."

Scoring is somewhat like SMM3G (time plus penalities) except one major rifle or slug hit to the A or C zone equals a neutralized target other than that it's one A or 2 hits anywhere to neutralize. Score is your raw time, stages are not worth equal points.

This match is somewhat more physical than your typical match. It is also a "thinking" match with a lot of target ID.

If you're interested or have any questions please email me.

Edited by kellyn

I will see you there again this year Kelly!!!!!!!!!!!! Last year was great, mostly because you weren't there so I was able to move up a medal :). Every year you out do yourself so I am expecting a great match again. Thanks for all the work you do, especially since you know that all us cops truely hate lawyers yet you still put on the match. :) J/K just most lawyers........

Cya there......For any LE that can make it is a good time, the ironman stage is always a hoot.

J. Bullins

Glendale PD K-9 Unit

Cops hate lawyers! You don't even know, I have to work w/ the rat bastards every day!

The infamous Iron Man El Prez Stage will once again make an appearance.

FYI I will be there this year! And I'm bringing four other prosecutors w/ me! :P

Instead of clay pigeons you could use various types of donuts... It would allow more free style ways to run a stage or a "transition" if a weapon goes down.

You would have to find a way to penalize Intentional Weapon Malfunctions though...

:-)

B

• 3 weeks later...

Kelly let us in to shoot for fun since we gave away some prizes.

I found out that even more people than I thougt are in law enforcement that I shoot with regularly. :blink: I had a decent unofficial 21/47 finish shooting with the pros. A single 30 second no-shoot penalty bumped me down the list a ways.

Saw some things I think would be interesting to incorporate into major matches

Two stages had targets with circles, squares, and triangles painted on them. Prior to shooting the stage the shooter was either told or flipped over a card to determine which ones would be no-shoots.

Shoot Targets had to be identified as threats on 3/4 stages based upon having a gun painted on them, in addition to being hostile shapes.

No shoot targets had an open hand displayed.

Penalties were harsh for not engaging targets or shooting no-shoots...this really makes you be positive you engaged everything by scanning, and being sure of your target before shooting. I that no-shoot penalty I mentioned earlier was because I did not fully ID the target in the dark house...turned out it was a triangle painted target I wasn't supposed to shoot.

More thinking was involved than a typical 3 gun match in general, not so much in planning to shoot the stage. I found it easier to not plan too much and simply scan and engage targets are 3 different possible courses of fire made planning difficult. You had to think more while you were shooting the stage, and that is a good thing as far as I am concerned.

I think the match was a huge success with about 1/3 more shooters than last year. We were able to shoot almost 50 competitors thru 4 stages, tear down left over props from SMM3G, and even have a Team shoot!

I'd first like to thank my match staff including my lovely bride (who checked the scores to make sure they were correct), Keith Manning of Maricopa Co. Attorney, Mike Lin of Phoenix PD, Steve Horseman, Stefan Springstroh and Kyle Schmidt of Tempe PD, Bill Heath of MCAO and MCSO and especially Rich Mackay of SMM3G.

I'd like to thank all the competitors for helping tear down the match and the props from SMM3G.

I'd finally like to thank our VERY generous sponsors including Springfield Armory (an XD), DPMS (an upper), Leupold (a SPR 1.5-5X), Trijicon (a TR-21), Cav Arms (a lower and buttstocks), 3gungear.com (3 gun equipment and the loan of the dreaded barricade), GG&G (a whole bunch of stuff), Practical Tactical (a whole bunch of stuff), Yost-Bonitz Gunsmithing (shirts, WAY cool 1911 sights, and an LPA install on a shotgun), The Wilderness (a belt), Safariland (3 holsters), Larue Tactical (scope mounts and foreends), Surefire (an X200), Accuracy Speaks ( a trigger kit). Our best prize table yet!

Results:

Tac Scope Division:

Gold Kelly Neal of PCAO (thanks to POF-USA for that cool upper, winning it's very 1st

match!)

Silver John Malovich of Tucson PD (just 1.1 seconds off the winning time! Good

Shooting, John!)

Bronze Judd Whitfield of Tucson PD (just 15 seconds behind John)

Tac Iron Division:

Gold Stefan Springstroh of Tempe PD

Silver Keith Manning of Maricopa Co. Attorney

Bronze Tim Lantz (sorry, I forgot your agency)

Senior

Gold Bob Whiteman

Silver Bill Heath

Woman:

Gold Jill Sosin

Silver Delia Neal

FYI I got both the symbols on the targets trick and the inspiration for the Iron Man El Prez from Kyle Lamb and the North American Tactical 3 Gun. Thanks Kyle and be safe out there!

I had a great time Kelly, and alex I actually think military can play. The stages were great and overall I did good, 7th overall. I'm shootin irons from now on :) to much competition in optics.....Darn u Kelly......:) Many thanks to the sponsors as well. I got the LDA shotgun sight install, mucho appreciated since I just ordered my new 1100 tactical, I think its gonna look good on it. Thanks again for everyone that helped put it together and for all the sponsors.

Jay Bullins

• 1 month later...

Kelly,

Do you know how to get a hold of Malovich or Whitfield from Tucson PD? I forgot to get their info before I left the match and they were gonna give some info on a cop 3gun match in Colorado and some other stuff. If you have any info can you email it to me. Thanks.

jbullgpd@yahoo.com

J. Bullins

Glendale PD

Thanks guys, appreciate it. If I remember they said it was sometime in July in Littleton. I remember someone saying there was a non cop 3 gun match in Pueblo every year as well. Any excuse to go to Colorado and out of the heat here in AZ. :)