Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm And Unique?

docpyzon

I'm in the process of trying some different powders in an effort to get the best accuracy out of my XD9 Tactical. I had been using Titegroup under 147gr. Zero bullets loaded pretty light and I'm just not satisfied with the accuracy. I've decided to start from scratch and try 147, 124, and 115s over the Titegroup, Unique and 231 and load each one from the minimum to the maximum and then shoot some groups. My question has to do with the Unique powder. Is Unique a compressed load in the 9mm? I was really suprised at how full my cases are with this powder after using the Titegroup for so long. It seems to fill the cases full enough that it is borderline if I will get the bullet seated to the published depth. Can someone experienced with Unique let me know if this is normal? Thanks alot.

Winchester Super Field is a powder that's very similar to Unique but much cleaner-shooting and meters better too. Some of the first powders I used when learning to reload [10mm Auto] & I liked the WSF a lot better, velocities were almost identical.

Lots of recommendations on here for N330 powder & 9mm minor. That's another powder I really like.

I had a bunch of unique a while back and decided to work up some practice loads for my open gun. With a 125gr lead bullet, I got the most accurate loads that I ever had with this particular bullet with this powder. I will use this load for steel matches in the future. WSF may be even better though and likely would meter much better than unique.

if the XD wont shoot but one or two loads good, might want to rebarrel with a bar-sto...i remember reading an article stating that the XD had a group stringing problem related to how the barrel was fitted...might be worth looking into.