Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Less Than $1.00 Per Gallon Diesel

Sterling White

Maybe I should start out that I really hate paying outrageous prices at the pump. It cuts into the spare change for all the needs to shoot a lot. Was watching spike channel the other night and some guys have come up with a great alternative to save some bucks. This thing reminds me of high school chemistry days.

http://www.freedomfuelamerica.com/

The Chemical Tech I work with has been making and using biodiesel in his Dodge truck for the last 18 months. His cost works out to be about $.75 with him picking up discarded oil at fried food places.

He has recently decided to expand and start selling some of his product to others. He will be selling it as off-road bio-diesel for about $1.50/gal.

His truck exhaust smells like whatever was cooked in the oil. French-Fries, Shrimp, Chicken. Some days your mouth starts watering :lol::lol::lol:

FWIW

dj

The FuelMeister Kit is $2500 so with a $1 savings per gallon it's going to take awhile to recoup the cost of the unit assuming your time is worth nothing.

But for many I bet it's more about breaking loose from "the grid" than actual savings.

I HATE MIDDLE EASTERN OIL. (shout mode off)

Its gotten us into more trouble since 1979 than its worth. I'd gladly pay a whole lot more for a USA made fuel like BioDiesel.

HI-5 wrote: 'What about long term effects on the vehicle's parts and seals?I heard it deteriorates rubber seals faster?barry"

On antiques maybe, but modern diesels are made to handle it. What are its problems?:

-its cleaner to burn

-its cleaner in the engine

-its MORE powerful (higher cetane)

ANd because production is so small, it actaully costs more in real terms that regular filthy sulfer laden diesel we now burn (going away this year).

The patriotic thing to do is switch to USA made BioDiesel.

Why would you rather give your $$$ to the middle east & Venezuela's Hugo Chavez instead of a US farmer?

What about long term effects on the vehicle's parts and seals?

I heard it deteriorates rubber seals faster?

barry B)

I looked at this pretty hard a while back. (The local "Other Paper" has it as a current cover article too, how timely.)

The gurus say that the older cars have seals and hoses that will need changed. Newer cars and trucks have better materials, no worries. The bio-d is a fantastic solvent, expect to need to change a few fule filters when switching over, as it will clean out your system.

Other than that, it bio-d has better lube properties. Your diesel should run better and longer.

Be aware of cold temps though. It gells at MUCH higher temps than #2 diesel.

There is a station in Green Bay WI that sells it at the pump for about $1.40 last summer. Everyone I know that ran it lost a little power, a little fuel economy too. At $1.40 a gallon it was still WAY cheaper than regular diesel.

I have not run it in my truck yet, but I might.....

Be aware of cold temps though. It gells at MUCH higher temps than #2 diesel.

There is a station in Green Bay WI that sells it at the pump for about $1.40 last summer. Everyone I know that ran it lost a little power, a little fuel economy too. At $1.40 a gallon it was still WAY cheaper than regular diesel.

I have not run it in my truck yet, but I might.....

This is a good point. Like petroleum diesel, there need to be additives included in the fuel to address low temps where both kinds of diesel can "gel" - and not run. Keep in mind that the gasoline & diesel you buy today is full of additives for various purposes. In Europe where biodiesel/blend use is common, and in limited use in the US where it has been mandated on a small scale, the gelling problem has been solved at the refinery level. If you make your own from waste oil, you will need additives.

Edited by Carlos

HI5-O,

Make sure you get an Edge Juice, For that bad boy! :D

Ivan

Ivan,

This is my first diesel truck so I went for the one with the most hp and torque, besides I like the red letters.

Been looking at all the stuff I could get for a diesel, should have gotten one a long time ago. Hmmmm....Edge Juice.... :)

barry B)