Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Is A "open Gun"?

Metalhead

Basically - what differentiates an Open gun from, say, a Limited gun, is the ability to use recoil compensation devices, and optical sighting sytsems. So - comps, ports, dot sights, etc. You can have higher capacity magazines, use a 9mm-ish caliber to make Major, etc.

For instance - here's my Open gun.

Edited by XRe

They are loud for two main reasons;

one, they fire high pressure cartidges to generate pressure for the comp, and

B- the comp is taking that pressure and directing it back AT YOU. The sound is similar to having the gun fired at you instead of standing behind it. they are loud.

Welcome to the Forums!

IPSC/USPSA shooting has several divisions based upon the type of pistol you choose to shoot; revolver, production, limited, limited-10 and open. An 'Open Gun' typically fires a light bullet at high velocity through a compensated barrel and is sighted with an electronic optical device.

They tend to be very loud because large volumes of powder are used to create the high velocity and to generate enough gas to allow the compensator to work.

The Rule Book lists all the Division requirements.

I think some of them were designed by dentists to further their trade. There's a few I'd rather not RO 'cause they rattle the fillings in my teeth.

Oh quit hollering about last night! YOU'RE the one who wanted me to come out and play! :lol:

Yeah, and I'm still flinching!

:lol::lol::):P