Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

N105 Source

RacerX1166

Hi All,

Just moved to open and have settled on using N105. The stuff goes pretty quickly so I'm looking to find a good source that has the best prices and who may offer case lots.

I've been shooting .40 for the last 5 years and working off a case of N320 that I bought so I haven't had to buy a bunch of powder lately so any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Thanks

Powder Valley has it for about $20/lb, plus shipping and hazmat. That's the best I've found. Unfortunately, it only appears to be available in one pound containers, making it pretty pricey...

Whats driving you to use N105? With a case the size of the .40SW you have ALOT of other choices that are much cheaper and easier to get.

I just reread my post and realized I was pretty vague. I used to shoot 40, using n320 (which I love) but moved to open and am now shooting Super. That's why the N105.

I realize $.03 a round is pretty expensive but the darned stuff works in the gun! I've got a new Pro Sx on order and I'm not sure how that will shoot. Hoping to be able to use 4756 with that gun.

In the end, I'll probably shoot a bit of N105 (matches) and practice with 4756.

I just reread my post and realized I was pretty vague. I used to shoot 40, using n320 (which I love) but moved to open and am now shooting Super. That's why the N105.

I realize $.03 a round is pretty expensive but the darned stuff works in the gun! I've got a new Pro Sx on order and I'm not sure how that will shoot. Hoping to be able to use 4756 with that gun.

In the end, I'll probably shoot a bit of N105 (matches) and practice with 4756.

Sounds like a good plan. I can get 4756 for about $14/lb in quantity but 105 would run me over $23/lb in quantity. You should be able to get a good load with 4756 with almost no dot movement with a little experimentation.

Edited by al503

the rub with 4756 is the case is completely full of powder when loaded to major in the Pro Sx.

another thing to look at is that if your going to practice with it, why not use it for matches?

Aside from being a little dirty, HS6 seems to do great in my gun. just some thoughts.

Harmon

the rub with 4756 is the case is completely full of powder when loaded to major in the Pro Sx.

another thing to look at is that if your going to practice with it, why not use it for matches?

Aside from being a little dirty, HS6 seems to do great in my gun. just some thoughts.

Harmon

hey Harmon. I'm loading about 8.7-8.8 gr of 4756 in a SC case and I have about ~1/8" of room left. Of course, I can't index as quickly as I can with 4.8 of titegroup in a .40 but I don't find that I have to slow down too much (800-1000/ hour on a 1050).

Bob told me that 105 is even bulkier and that I wouldn't be able to get enough powder into an SC case to make major.

I'm thinking about trying some 7625 just for giggles as many have reported good results.

In my gun, using the lots of powder I had, it took me 9.5gr of N105 to make 170PF. It took 8.6gr of 4756 to do the same. At this charge weight, N105 actually takes up *less* room in the case, for me.

On my UniqueTek micrometer, 8.6 of 4756 is set to 3.09, 9.5gr of N105 is set to 2.70 (the higher the number, the larger the volume). N105 is quite a bit more dense than 4756.

With my lots of powder, you could fit 10.5 grains of N105 in the same volume as your current 4756 charge. Should be Major for you. ;)

In my gun, using the lots of powder I had, it took me 9.5gr of N105 to make 170PF. It took 8.6gr of 4756 to do the same. At this charge weight, N105 actually takes up *less* room in the case, for me.

On my UniqueTek micrometer, 8.6 of 4756 is set to 3.09, 9.5gr of N105 is set to 2.70 (the higher the number, the larger the volume). N105 is quite a bit more dense than 4756.

With my lots of powder, you could fit 10.5 grains of N105 in the same volume as your current 4756 charge. Should be Major for you. ;)

Bob recommends 10.2-10.3 gr of 105 to make major with an SC case. I've talked with a couple of other shooters using SC and 105 and they've mentioned a completely full case. One of them said it was 'ridiculously full' IIRC.

Not doubting what your saying, just relaying what I've been told. Weird.

Bob recommends 10.2-10.3 gr of 105 to make major with an SC case. I've talked with a couple of other shooters using SC and 105 and they've mentioned a completely full case. One of them said it was 'ridiculously full' IIRC.

Not doubting what your saying, just relaying what I've been told. Weird.

Filled to the brim w/ N105, my brand new SuperComp cases hold 13.5 grains. ;) They look awful full with a 10gr charge of N105, or an 8.6gr charge of 4756 - but neither is totally full or over flowing. Both could cause a mess if you index the press w/o a bullet on top of the case, and both result in a compressed load.

you need to get ahold of Henry at swartzout

he carries 30lb boxes

Do you have contact info please? Not sure I want 30# right now though. I'm hopefull that my new Pro Sx will like 4756 a bit more than my current one...