Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock 147gr Loads

TimWarner

I've got about 3/4# of Unique left. I've been using 4.0gr unique under my 147gr Zero JHP's in 9mm.

It's dirty, relatively accurate, but dirty. Available everywhere, reasonably priced, but dirty.

When I run out of Unlimited(gssf) ammo, I shoot some and it fogs up my c-more in <50 rounds.

From what I hear, a lot of people use titegroup. What's the advantage of titegroup?

It's cheap, accurate, available about everywhere, and meters well. A lot of shooters complain that it's dirty, but that hasn't been my experience. I haven't tried it with 147s, but it's great with 124s/125s. I've heard that 3.0-3.3 grains is about right for 147s, but check before you rely on my memory. :)

Tightgroup or Vihta Vuori N320 are both popular choices for the 147 grainers. I'm loading 3.3 grains of V V N320 at 1.140 OAL with the 147 gr JHP Zero and getting 130 PF in a Glock 34 with the stock barrel. Shoots into 1.5" or less at 20 yards for a 5 shot group off of sandbags. Not spectacular groups but repeatable and consistant and this includes all shots fired - no calling this one or that one a flier. If I pull the trigger and it comes out of the barrel it is part of the group.

Rick

Edited by Clay1

titegroup is a good choice, so is 231...seems like 231 is more accurate, and softer shooting but dirtier(slightly) and titegroup seems to be slightly cheaper in bulk than 231.

If you like the Unique, but dont like the filth, try universal clays...its like a super clean unique...shoots great.. and i used 3.5 grains and a fmjrn at 1.150 oal and federal primers.

also IMO, every powder is dirty....if you shoot ALOT!

I guess I was referencing another thread in which 3n37 is talked about as burning EVERYTHING and coming out clean.

My thought was if I shoot lots of dirty ammo, then some really hot burning stuff, I can cut my cleaning down from every month or two, to twice a year.

I have used 3.4 gr.of Tiregroup with the 147 gr Star FMJ with excellent results. Nice groups and very soft shooting.

Tony

That is almost exactly my load that I have come to enjoy. I load to 1.15" OAL with Precision Delta 147g and it chronos 880fps out of my Glock 17.

• 4 weeks later...

" I'm loading 3.3 grains of V V N320 at 1.140 OAL with the 147 gr JHP Zero and getting 130 PF in a Glock 34 with the stock barrel. "

My question:

Would this OAL be the same for TMJ's - 147 grain, Zero's?

Thanks

Jerry