Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rl 1000

1 sold on e-bay for $1200 in Oct. to much in my opinion. I think they are a great press

better than my 1050. I paid less than that for mine :D

I believe that they sold for $2000 + when new and in the 80s that was big bucks for a reloader.

If you do a search for Rl 1000 a post or 2 give some history

I don't worry about the 25 cent part breaking. They are built like tanks and I would have a machine shop fix/copy any problem parts. The priming system is not the same as a 1050 so if you needed a primer conversion that would be a problem. I wish I had a manual but I just wing it.

Yes, I do have an RL1000, but want to keep it...also have two SDB's, two 550's and a 450 in the closet...Great presses...and as far as a part putting you out of business, I believe that unless you intentionally abuse the press, it will outlive you.....parts should not be a worry...and I also think it is better than the 1050's...

BTW, I think I paid 999.00 for mine when it was new...I think you should be able to find one for about that price if you are diligent in your search and don;t have to find one in a week...

Edited by tightloop

T-loop --- why do you think it is better than a 1050? A long time IPSC shooter, who got out of the game a few years ago & now is preparing to move out of state, wants to sell it and I'm undecided whether to buy it and at what price. I've been using a 650 since they first came out and love the darn thing. Just curious if there might be something slightly better as I load approximately 40,000 plus per year.

Thanks,

It just does all I need it to do without breaking down....I have not had any problems with my primer system...but I did tape a bullet to the top of the plastic follower when I first got it...I like the built in swager that allows you to use brass with crimped im primers, (old military), not that I need that anymore, but it was good back when I needed it....the system is well thought out, easy to use (kind of time comsuming to set up or change calibers) but I just like it...I am sure that a 1050 set up properly is just as good....

I mean I had two Star loaders till 1982 and used them...thought there was nothing better till I got a Dillon....

I do not try to see how many rounds I can produce, my aim is to make lots of quality ammo...and if I have the primer tubes loaded and don';t stop to drink a glass of something, I can easily do 750 quality rounds an hour...Probably many here can do that on a 650, but when I bought mine there was no 650....

Final analysis is that the 1050 and 1000 are about the same...and I like what I am used to using...kind of like I drove an 84 chevy truck for 16 yrs....traded it only then cause I was tired of looking at it...LOL