Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brass Settle Slug ? Any Thoughts?

DRG

I have no practical experience with Seattle Slugs.  I do however shoot the Glock 21 in both IDPA and IPSC matches.  In IDPA I can only load 8+1 in the gun, in IPSC I'm free to go 15+1 (The maximum my highcaps can handle at the moment.)  I do notice that the gun is way more buttheavy fully loaded than it is downloaded in IDPA configuration.  That said though, I notice the weight only during the load and make ready phase.  Once the buzzer sounds, I don't notice the difference in weight or that the gun's balance changes as I shoot it closer to empty.  

However that's true for me, it might be totally different for you.  Just out of curiosity, which model of Glock are you thinking of modifying and for what game?

I don't know if the slug would be beneficial with the G35 as I've never shot a .40.  If you want to tame recoil or shoot faster splits a seattle slug might help with the other two guns, but I think you'd get more benefit from spending your money on more practice ammo and reading both Brian's posts on Fundamentals and some of the other posts on recoil management that are on the site.   Just my $.02.

DRG---

I tried a Seattle Slug for a while when I first got my G35. Since then I have switched to the THE Accessories brass mag well. Similar weight and much better for fast reloads, good quality also. Slugs and mag wells don't do too much for splits and recoil, the added weight is in the wrong place. They can definitely speed up your reloads though and possibly help the reliability of the Glock. The more weight you add to the frame the better the gun will perform in a "weak wrist" or poor grip situation.....weak hand too.

The one addition I did to my G35 that has helped with recoil and muzzle flip was add a Harrtz recoil reducer. I know they aren't as popular as tungsten guide rods but I have run them head to head in my gun and my shooting partner and I both agreed the Harrtz worked noticeably better. They don't weigh as much as the tungsten rods but they also don't break like tungsten does either.

As Nik pointed out, fancy gadgets aren't nearly as effective as perfect practice. If you want to be competitive with a Glock start dry-firing now and don't ever stop, not even when you have it down cold. The Glock trigger is a cruel master.....

Nik,

It's been a few years since I've shot IDPA - I think I'll take it up again, just made that decision right now, how 'bout that - but it surprised me to hear you say you could only load 8 rounds in your G21 .45. When I left the rule was 10 rounds in SSP, ESP and CDP. Has that changed in the past few years?

icer,

I tried the Harrts Recoil Reducer and wasn't really impressed. The design has a hollow tube filled with ball bearings and mercury. I seemed to get a wildly varying recoil impulse from shot to shot, depending on where the ball bearings were riding in the guide rod at the moment of firing.

Also the fact the rods were filled with mercury didn't exactly thrill me. Dude, that stuff is poisonous in the extreme. It's also skin permeable, IOW you can poison yourself, I'm talking serious, possibly life threatening stuff, just by getting a drop of it on your skin. Mercury expands under heat, thus when it's encapsulated inside the guide rod, and then put right underneath a hot gun barrel, you get a lot of pressure inside that rod. If the seal on the guide rod pops, you've got poisonous mercury all over the place.

I was sent two Harrts guide rods in the mail, one for a 1911, the other for a SIG P220/P226. When I took the plastic envelopes containing the rods out of the padded shipping envelope, only the SIG unit was still safe. The inside of the 1911 package was beaded with these silver drops of mercury, you could see them through the clear plastic sleeve. The thing started leaking before it was ever even put in a gun. I looked at that and said, "Hmmmmm, let me think about this for a pico-second, do I really want to be sharing my pants with this stuff on a daily basis....I'll pass."

I hate to badmouth anyone's product, but I just don't believe this is a safe thing to have in a gun.

Duane,

Current IDPA Rules limit you to 10 rounds in the magazine +1 in the chamber in SSP and ESP Division.  In CDP you may only load 8 + 1 so that the Glock 21, HK USP .45, Beretta 8045, etc. are on a level playing field with your Wilson Combat blaster and your favorite 8 Round (Wilson-Rogers) competition magazines.  (See someone actually reads "The Blue Press" instead of just ogling the covergirl.)  Those have been the rules for the last two years I've been playing that game.  The major rule changes that have come down the pike recently are that effective immediately the only caliber in CDP is .45, the 10mm and .41AE are moved to ESP; and that as of October 2002 the legal barrel length for Stock Service REvolver will shrink one inch to only permit 4" or shorter tubes.

Duane---

I hear what you're saying regarding the danger of mercury exposure, but I've never seen a safety problem with the product. I've been running Harrts rods in three of my guns for the last four years, so far no problems such as you described. I keep a close eye on them and check for wear at every cleaning, just as I do for every other part in the gun.

Regarding recoil impulse, every person interprets this differently and my impression is that the Harrts does soften felt recoil more than the next best alternative---tungsten.

I messed with the Hart's rods in my stock blaster for about a year. I have to say it was the longest and weirdest component I have ever tested. I'm saying this because I could never decide if I liked it or not. On some days I'd think it was like magic, and on others, the gun would be bouncing all over the place like a pogo spring. I finally gave it up. Eventually I began to notice a pattern. It seemed that when the gun handled the worst, it was when I was shooting a match. In practice, warmed up, the gun usually felt fine. With no real data to base a decision on, I "decided" that it was a temperature thing - "it" didn't like being cold. Since that is the way it is in competition, I dumped it.

Long ago, I remember having a conversation with someone who had decided the same thing, but I can't remember who it was....

Anybody else test it extensively, or notice anything of the sort?

be

• 1 month later...

I just recently put the brass Seattle Slug by Taylor Freelance in my G35 and it has helped me alot.  I am not very big and recoil is always a problem.  With the slug, the gun sits in my hands better, stays in my hands better and I am back on target quicker!!!  I love it and highly reccomend it especially for us little people!

DGR,

Grams Engineering will be coming out with a tungsten magwell.  I am going to try that also.  Keep your eyes open for that when it becomes available.  Do you shoot IPSC matches?  If were are at the same match some time, come find me.  I have a slug you can try.  My name is Debbie Ross and I am sponsored by Glock so I am easy to find.

Unfortunately Beven has been talking about a tungsten mag well for the Glock for quite a while.......I asked him about it last October and got the impression that it was more of an engineering challenge than he expected. Beven does fantastic work and I'll be one of the first to put in an order, but in the meantime I'm not holding my breath.......

I like the Seattle slug, without it the gun seems top heavy.  This is especially noticeable when you shoot one handed and tilt the gun a bit.  The solid brass slug puts some weight down under and balances the gun better.

I didn't like that I couldn't install a MagWell with the Seattle slug in place,.......or could I?

I had an idea, inspired by Dale Rhea, I chopped the slug flush with the bottom of the frame.  Then snapped a JP Enterprises magwell in its place and marked the screw through the magwell hole location onto the bottom of the Seattle Slug.  After drilling'n tapping the Slug and using that as the base for your magwell, you'll have the added weight of the Slug plus a the benefits of a  magwell.

Boy if Beven could come out with a well designed Tungsten well, that would be awesome!