Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Kaboom....

michaels

Here’s a first for me anyway…

We’re at the indoor range today, burning up a bunch of reloads, 3.0 grains of Titegroup over a 180 grain Bear Creek 40 cal moly. Probably 400 rounds needed to get ‘recycled’, so after about 75 rounds, I get one that didn’t eject…I noticed the slide on the G35 wasn’t feeling the same when I racked it…upon a little closer exam, I see the fired case is sticking out of the chamber about ¼ inch and I used a little screwdriver to remove it the rest of the way. The split in the case lined up with the bottom crack in the barrel. The barrel was removed, gun was examined under magnification and no damage appeared other than the barrel. Everybody who was watching me at the time failed to notice anything different other than shot placement on the target was really bad. So the original Glock 35 barrel was installed and after no volunteers stepped forward to test the gun, I continued with it for another 100 rounds before quitting for the day.

I guess tomorrow I’ll pack up the barrel and ship it back to Storm Lake and let them look at it. There’s probably no more than 2k or 3k of rounds through it, most of them were WW white box stuff through it. The round fired was a flyer on the target though, I was practicing weak hand only shooting at the time…

michaels

post-2600-1139279657_thumb.jpg

post-2600-1139279679_thumb.jpg

post-2600-1139279697_thumb.jpg

Here’s a first for me anyway…

We’re at the indoor range today, burning up a bunch of reloads, 3.0 grains of Titegroup over a 180 grain Bear Creek 40 cal moly. Probably 400 rounds needed to get ‘recycled’, so after about 75 rounds, I get one that didn’t eject…I noticed the slide on the G35 wasn’t feeling the same when I racked it…upon a little closer exam, I see the fired case is sticking out of the chamber about ¼ inch and I used a little screwdriver to remove it the rest of the way. The split in the case lined up with the bottom crack in the barrel. The barrel was removed, gun was examined under magnification and no damage appeared other than the barrel. Everybody who was watching me at the time failed to notice anything different other than shot placement on the target was really bad. So the original Glock 35 barrel was installed and after no volunteers stepped forward to test the gun, I continued with it for another 100 rounds before quitting for the day.

I guess tomorrow I’ll pack up the barrel and ship it back to Storm Lake and let them look at it. There’s probably no more than 2k or 3k of rounds through it, most of them were WW white box stuff through it. The round fired was a flyer on the target though, I was practicing weak hand only shooting at the time…

michaels

Wow... they can't say that you were running too hot with that whopping 3 grains of TG! A split that long strikes me as being a defect in the metal.

Wow... they can't say that you were running too hot with that whopping 3 grains of TG! A split that long strikes me as being a defect in the metal.

Well, 6gr of TG, though... or 9... ;)

But, I'd agree - this doesn't look like the pictures of detonations that I've seen. This looks like either a defective barrel, or somehow there was an obstruction of some form in the barrel. The moly bullets shouldn't leave junk in the barrel like a lead bullet might, and it sounds like you were keeping track of your rounds on target, so that doesn't sound real likely....