Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Master Blaster Bullets

jspruance

To try to offset some of the reloading cost, at least for my practice bullets, I ordered 2k of the MB 180 gr. 40 cal bullets. They were app. $99 shipped to my door.

They are fine to handle and fairly clean to shoot ( nothing like lead) but still produce some smoke. Accuracy seems fine at least out to 25 yd.

My question is related to a company I saw mentioned on the BE forum. The company is North East Bullet co.

Has any one used them for an extensive amount of time, at least enough to get some good results on smoke and accuracy.

I wrote an e-mail to them and they verified that their bullets are moly coated. However they put lube in their grease groove. Master Blasater does not. I suspect that this may create more smoke. Any opinions or concrete info on that subject?

At $40 a K delivered they seem like a bargain. But also they don't have sample packs that you can buy to test before you order a full thousand.

thanks in advance for any input.

JFS

Give them a shot ( sorry... :D ) The fact is that lead bullets smoke, due to the lube used. The Moly bullets smoke less, but they still smoke some as well. I shoot jacketed for matches and shoot lead for practice due to economy. You will get used to the smoke when you are practicing..... ;)

I have never used anything (except in Open guns) but Precision Black Bullets. They may smoke a tiny bit but never enough to bother me or obscure the view to the targets. Night, indoor and outdoor matches with no problems. They have no lube grooves and are very accurate in all the guns I shoot them in. With the rising costs of jacketed and plated bullets I expect they will gain in usage among everyone who has to watch their expenditures... :)

I ordered some a week or so ago and got an e-mail saying they are behind by a couple of weeks. I'm already concerned that if they can't keep up with supply during the winter, I wonder how long it will take to get an order when everyone is shooting regularly. I opted to go without moly because of the mess it makes when loading. Try WST or Clays (light loads) with lead bullets. I don't notice the smoke too much at all.

Thanks for the replys guys.

I guess I still don't know if anyone is specifically using North East Bullets. Like I said I am trying Master Blaster and they are very good. But North East is a better price. If I can get them without the lube as a moly bullet I would give them a try.

BTW, I have found that minor loads with VV 3n37 , N330 and HS-6 yield very little smoke and produce a recoil pulse similar to TG. N330 is a little more harsh. The other two are sweet. So much for the heavy bullet fast powder theory.

Thanks all

JFS

Like I said I am trying Master Blaster and they are very good. But North East is a better price. If I can get them without the lube as a moly bullet I would give them a try.

From what I've been told...the Moly coating on the NorthEast bullets is inferior to the Poly/Moly coating that companies like Masterblaster or Precision use. While the cost maybe less with the NorthEast bullets....the old saying applies...you get what you pay for.

I've shot MasterBlaster bullets for years now (45ACP). Only recently did I switch to Rainier's once I heard that MB was going out of business. Presently I'm using my stock of MB's for practice and Rainiers for match ammo but once I run out of Rainiers...there's a good chance I'll be switching back to MB for practice and match ammo since they're back in the game again.

Edited by SteveZ

I like the Precision bullet. As far as swapping from practice to match, I have just about quit shooting jacket period. Cost too much for limited or in my revolver. About $117 for 2500 precisions and about $168 for 2500 MG for my .40.

Plus I like the way they shoot.

just my 2cents worth

dj

JFS,

I cannot answer that. I usually pick them up at matches off the back of his trailer.

But wait... There's more. I checked on the website at Precision Bullets and the price is $47/1000 for .40 170gr rnfp bullets. If you buy them by the case of 2500 the price is $131.50 shipped (which is the price of 2500 plus $14 for shipping) Still a pretty good deal.

I really like them

dj

I like the Precision bullet. As far as swapping from practice to match, I have just about quit shooting jacket period. Cost too much for limited or in my revolver. About $117 for 2500 precisions and about $168 for 2500 MG for my .40.

Plus I like the way they shoot.

just my 2cents worth

dj

Are you using 170s, I am also thinking about switching to 170s for practice and maybe local matches. What powder are you using?

Woody,

I haven't tried AA5 but I have done some extensive testing withthe MB 180 gr. and HS-6, VV 3N37 ans VVn330.

HS-6 and 3N37 both have a light crisp recoil and very little smoke. I shot them both at an indoor match last Sunday and had no smoke issues at all.

This is a minor load in a G22.

The N330 is a nice load also but a little sharper recoil.

JFS

Woody,

I haven't tried AA5 but I have done some extensive testing withthe MB 180 gr. and HS-6, VV 3N37 ans VVn330.

HS-6 and 3N37 both have a light crisp recoil and very little smoke. I shot them both at an indoor match last Sunday and had no smoke issues at all.

This is a minor load in a G22.

The N330 is a nice load also but a little sharper recoil.

JFS

Thanks JFS,

I may head out this weekend and try to find someone carrying some different powder. Of the 3 local gun stores, only 2 carry powder, and the one with the most variety charges about $35 a pound! So I've been pretty limited in my choices so far - I bought the #5 because my son is planning to buy a 45 and #5 seemed to be the right ticket for his needs.

If I can find any of the powders you mentioned this weekend I will probably be back for more details for your minor loads. I'm not in competition - all I'm interested in is going to the range and killing an hour or two each week.

Thanks again,

Woody

Woody,

I don't know where you are but. I buy Hodgdons in HS-6 (in Ohio) for about $110 for the 8# jug.

VV 3n37 is much higher 4# is probably close to $80. now.

I load these two loads for about 7.5 and 8.0 cents respectivly

JFS

I'm in northern Virginia. I spent the day out learning why powder is so hard to find - aparently Virginia (according to one fellow I talked with) changed the law requiring powder magazines in the store for those that sell it. I guess I may be stuck with mail order but there is a Gander Mountain an hour and a half away. I may just drive down and stock up tomorrow ;)

Stopped by the range today and fired off some more of the AA#5 and 180gr MasterBlaster. I shot 50 rds loaded with 5.75gr @ 1.130 OAL and 50 rds @5.9gr.

MUCH less smoke and buildup. When I got home I had the latest Lyman Pistol & Revolver handbook waiting in the mailbox. Several AA#5 loads for the .40, with a sugg starting of 6.1 for 175gr cast/1.125 OAL, so I believe I'm in the ballpark.

The 5.75 gr load shot more accuratly for me at the expense of being a little dirtier than the 5.9gr load. Most likely this is because I tend to push the gun down when shooting hotter loads in anticipation.

Woody