Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Titegroup Load Difference

coog

When I look up load info for titegroup in .40 I come up w/ 4.3 gr 180g montana gold 167pf(glock 35). I have to load 4.6g 180 g montana gold to make 167 pf out of my g35. Why is there a difference?

.3 grains I wouldn't worry about. That small amount could be attributed to a number of variables. Environment (temp,humidity,etc.). Another variable is the bbl. While it says glock 35 how many rounds were put through the "test" bbl before. What brand of primer, What brand of brass, etc. etc.

Many variations can make up .3 grains of difference. now if it was 3 grains then I would be worried.

later, Steven

Ps.

I alwys use such info as starting points or sanity checks. I never expect someone elses load to be exact in my weapon. That is why I view Chrono's as an essential tool in reloading.

Edited by standles

I believe the Hodgdon book says that load on the low end is 4.3 gr and at the max is 4.7 grains. 4.6 grains is ok - or within the margin of min and max but I would not recommend exceeding 4.7 grains. Your load at 4.6 should be safe - and like the other comment - lots of things can effect the performance of load - temp, humidity, etc.

When I look up load info for titegroup in .40 I come up w/ 4.3 gr 180g montana gold 167pf(glock 35). I have to load 4.6g 180 g montana gold to make 167 pf out of my g35. Why is there a difference?

Are you shooting through a factory barrel or aftermarket barrel? What is your overall Length? I load 4.39 grains of TG over a Precision Delta Bullet at 1.135 oal and I believe its around 171pf, but thats through a kkm precision barrel out of my g35. But I guess at what I am getting at is that there are alot of variables that effect your results. Not to mention which Chrono you used. I guess need more information to give you a better answer.

OAL makes a large difference in 0.40. The load books are usually using factory (SAAMI) lengths. Hard to know why you need more powder unless we have more information. Also, there is more lot to lot variation in powder characteristics than many people realize. If you are at or near maximums you should re-chrono after changing powder lots.

By the way, I have to use 4.7 grains of Titegroup (Hodgden maximum) to reliably make major in my G35-factory barrel, 1.140 OAL, Win SPP, 180 gr MG. No problems so far, but being at maximum (even with the longer OAL) makes me nervous...

Maybe Glock made a run of tighter barrels? Other people seem to get by with less powder.