Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Would You Consider This Limited?

AzShooter

If I were to take an 8 3/8ths in L fram barrel, mount in on another Smith & Wesson frame and then reduce the weight of the barrel by triming off the underlug would you think this should still fit in Limited? The advantage would be the added sight radius. But it's too heavy as is.

I always thought limited was to encourage stock shooters but allowed a few modifications.

If you're talking about ICORE I would think you're OK. The rules state that a gun with a replacement aftermarket barrel will be put in Open. To avoid being placed in Open it says that the barrel must be a factory barrel, including barrels from the manufacturer's spare parts catalog. It says nothing about modifications to factory barrels, excepting that they cannot have add on weights or anything to increase the weight of the gun. It seems to me you're doing the exact opposite, and should be OK. Take a look:

6. A revolver must compete in the Open Division if it has one or more of the following modifications:

A. Compensating, venting, or metering ports of any kind.

B. An optical sight including telescopic and red dot sights.

C. A rib sight, a front sight that extends beyond the muzzle, or a rear sight that extends beyond or behind a factory manufactured sight's location.

D. Any barrel other than a factory barrel or a factory replacement barrel made by the revolver's manufacturer and included in the revolver manufacturer's spare parts catalog or list.

E. An underlug, barrel weight, grip weight, or any other modification designed to increase the weight of the revolver.

All other modifications are allowed. Revolvers not in the Open Division may compete in the Limited Division.

Anyway, I used to use my Safariland 002 occasionally for my 8-3/8" guns, I just took off the thingy at the bottom of the holster and let the barrel stick out the bottom. Gun sweeps right up through the front of the holster, no problem.