Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Type Of Target For Sighting In With Iron Sights

Scott G

I prefer to shoot targets that are laid out in a 1 inch grid pattern with a diamond shape bullseye. I line the cross hairs up in the corners of the diamond and the 1 inch squares make it real easy to make adjustments according to my hits. I have shot as small as 1/4" groups using targets laid out like this. Total target paper size only needs to be roughly 12-18 inches.

Opps, I just saw where you said IRON sights...I still prefer the diamond shaped bullseye.

Edited by TCK

A square target is the best for Iron sight. Like the old Gun-Site sight in target. 10' sqare in black w/ the center 6" square in white. These also work vey well for optics, but for Iron they are the best! KURTM

A square target is the best for Iron sight. Like the old Gun-Site sight in target. 10' sqare in black w/ the center 6" square in white. These also work vey well for optics, but for Iron they are the best! KURTM

Thanks Kurt! Where exactly are you holding/aiming with this type of target?

What is a reasonable expectation for group size with irons if it shoots 3/4 inch with a scope??

Edited by Scott G

At 200 yards, I use a 200 yard Highpower target (!!!) and hold at 6 o'clock, just like the service rifle shooters do and just like I hold on a plate or Larue at 200. It is a black bullseye with a 3 inch X ring. Unlike Highpower guys, I use the 200 yard target at 300.

At 100, I'll use whatever is available, but almost always a bullseye target.

Plus I have to do it different from Kurt!

I hold the sight at the bottom of the square. It is too hard for me to see the bottom of a circle and find the square much easier. as for group size, it shouldn't change all that much as long as you are doing all the same stuff on the back end, that got you those nice 3/4" groups. :D KURTM

I like using the old fashioned Highpower round bullseye targets for iron sights.

If your eyesight is not great, use a center hold. Put the top of the post in the middle of the fuzzy black ball of a target.

The blacker the front post, the better. I like using the spray on Sight Black instead of carbide lamps.

I've got a highpower target electronically, if you want it, send me an email. It sized for 100 yards, but if you want to shoot 200, take it to a copy place and blow it up.

• 1 year later...
Kurt & Kelly,

So I'm going to build a rifle for Limited. So why a 6 o'clock hold rather than holding the front sight on the center of the target? Also, do you zero your irons at 100 or 200?

Rich

Yeah ditto that Q. With my pistols I've always tried to set up the sights so that half the group is below the top edge of the front sight and half is above.

Also, Kelly, did I see your name on the BARC list? Please tell me you're entered in the herd of tactical shooters. Geoff said there's only 3 shooters in Ltd. and I was kind a hoping the other two would be patsy's that would cave on the long range work and maybe brain fade at some other point. ;)

Here are some printable target images I keep stowed:

http://www.3gunrules.com/documents/multi-gun-info/targets/

The cross and circle one works well for irons when you rotate it so the lines are at 45 degrees.

The inch squares are too small for 200 yards and irons, but they are the type of shape Kurt is talking about and I agree with him on the extra ease in finding the bottom of a square with the top of a post at distance. I still use NRA HighPower bullseye targets like Kelly prefers though just because they are easy to get at any range.

The 6 O'Clock hold (AKA Lollipop hold) is the way I learned to shoot irons in HighPower and it's what works best for me. I like it because it doesn't obscure target in any way. It's also the same way I prefer iron sight pistols. Keep it simple, just put what you want to hit on top of the post and BAM!

No hiding available in Standard/Limited at the 2007 BARC, not with John Bagakis in that Division.

Kelly and most of our local rifle sharks are entered in Tactical, so there ain't no "hiding" to be had there either ;-)

Heck, weve got M & GM level shooters entered in the Cowboy and Sportin' Rifle categories too. There ain't no hiding to be had in any Division/Category at the 2007 BARC. Everyone's gonna' hafta' earn a good finish the old fashioned way ;-)

What is a reasonable expectation for group size with irons if it shoots 3/4 inch with a scope??
About the same if you have good technique, maybe a tad larger at the worst. NRA HighPower shooters require sub-moa accuracy from their iron sight rifles because they need and can use that accuracy. Irons are not less accurate, just harder to be consistent with unless you have good technique.

I run a 300 yard zero, with my beloved 55 grain bullets it is 3" high at 100, 4" high at 200 and centered on the sight at 300. A 6:00 hold alowes a more precise aiming point than a black blade in the middle of a black circle. Now if you are zeroing on an IPSC target hold middle! Kurt

Heck, weve got M & GM level shooters entered in the Cowboy and Sportin' Rifle categories too. There ain't no hiding to be had in any Division/Category at the 2007 BARC. Everyone's gonna' hafta' earn a good finish the old fashioned way ;-)

I'm F'ed!

I'm F'ed!

Not really, I'd say with 9 stages of shooting, anything can happen and might just. Shoot clean and within your comfort zone and you might just be surprised. Last years match winner didn't think he had it in him and was surprised when his consistency was rewarded beyond his wildest expectations ;-)

Seriously though, it's not gonna' be a lock for anyone in any division/category. There are enough good shooters entered in each division/category to make this a total toss-up across the board.

I zero at 301 yards. :D

No, I actually have been zeroing at 250 because I would rather have less than 4 inches of height of bullet flight at 200. Of course, the 300 yard zero is better for 300 yard targets - and Kurt has nearly convinced me that a 300 yard zero is the way to go but I don't want to be like him. A 200 yard zero is ok for most of the targets encountered but you have to hold fairly high for a 300 yard shot, high enough to obsure the target. It usually does not really matter as long as you know where to hold with your preferred zero. A 100 yard zero, however, is no good since you now have to hold over the targets and are not really looking at anything when you shoot at targets past 100.

The 6 o'clock hold is the way to go since it allows you to see all of the target (I'm talking plates, steel etc.) I never could get consistent elevation trying to hold directly center on a plate. The ole' pumpkin on the post/ lollipop hold always worked best for me. But on an IPSC target, hold dead on. Others like the center hold. Vive la difference!

One thing that I've noticed about the best practical iron sighted shooters (Kurt, Bennie, and even myself on a good day) is that they all prefer the front post sight (usually skinny) as opposed to crosshairs, apetures, etc. I still think that a front apeture must be a better front sight but I can't quite convert to one.

Yes, I will be at BARC, in the Tactical division (this is Kelly's year of the SCOPE, next year is all IRON). I'm coming to win, but I expect some real competition!