Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

8-shot .38 Super 627-4 "converted" To 9mm

Carmoney

It would be cool to see a wheel gun tearing up Production in USPSA...

With Flex's idea in my head, I decided to have a little fun and shot Production today with my renegade* Production 8-shooter and WWB cheapie ammo. I used a kydex holster and moved my moonclip holders around to the left side, keeping everything behind my hip bones per the rules. This worked out OK for me, since I now use the Spook/Dan reload style, keeping the gun in my right hand--but would probably not work real well for those using the Jerry/Sam reload, where the fresh moonclips need to be available to the right hand.

Everything worked just fine, reloads went in pretty nice, although I had one frustrating click, wheeled it all the way around and it clicked again. Nice deep primer indent, should've gone off--later on, when I tried it again, it finally did fire. If I were playing for money, I'd want Federal ammo/primers, I suppose....

I won one stage and finished at 86%, which isn't too bad considering there was at least one stage where an extra reload was required for an 8-shooter, and an 8-round steel stage where a couple or three extra rounds would've sure been nice to have as a cushion!

My assessment--it's fun for a stunt--but next match I'm getting back to business.

*(Notice I said "renegade"--it's an illegal Production gun because it has one of my trademark whittled hammers--which is obviously an illegal "externally-visible modification.") :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Mike,

Does the twist in the barrel have anything to do with the accuracy of the different ammo, esspecially the different weight bullets? Some of the 9mm barrels were 1/10, and some were 1/16. the 38 Spec was supposed to 1/18. I know I really improved the accuracy of a 9mm bullseye gun going to 1/16. What is the twist in the S&W 38 super?

Hunter/jb

Hunter,from what I have observed, the 1 in 10 twist works well in a heavier bullet. ( I use a 160 grain) The standard S&W barrel is good for a lighter bullet, the light bullet did not work well on the in the 1 in 10 twist. Of course I am talking about the revo's only. I am not sure what the twist in the 627 super is but I am going to try two different loads. A 135 and a 160, both lead. I am loking for accuaracy out to 50 yards. :ph34r: rdd

Bubber,

I think your observations are dead on. That is exactly what happened in the bottom feeders I was playing with back then. Barsto made a special barrel for me with the 1/16 twist (for Horn. 115 jhp), and put it in. It shot 1 1/2 " 10 shot 50-yd groups.

Would you please let us know how your experiments with the different weight bullets go? Thanks for the info.----John/Hunter

A couple of factoids which may or may not have relevance here...

The old "Super Police" 200 grain RNL loads apparently were adequately stabilized by the 1 in 18-3/4" twist in factory S&W barrels, including when they went about 600 fps from snubbies.

I've heard that the hot set-up among service pistol (M9) shooters is a 1-24" twist, and that a 1-32" twist works with 115-124 grain bullets.

Bubber - If you're shooting minor loads, you might want to give Zero 158 grain swaged RNLs a try. I get better accuracy from them than from cast bullets. I'm not sure if they'd fit in a Super, but it'd be worth a try.