Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

625 Cylinder Binding (sticking)

Nemo

I've been really excited about my incursion into USPSA Revo division. Since Hopalong helped me by giving the my old 625-3 a once-over it has been seeing some local match action and I'm already classified as C-class.

Everything was going good in my revo shooting until the cylinder started to bind. I examined all my m-clips and elimiated the suspicious ones and the binding continued. It does it usually after the second or third shot of a clip. During a very brief practice session I ejected a clip that gave me the problem and set it aside. Kept shooting until another one did it. After examination of both I noticed that the primers on the shot cases were sticking out some. I removed the spents and reloaded the clip with fresh ammo, fired and no problem.

Ok, so primers that flow out of the pocket after firing are the problem. It happens in brass of diverse headstamps. What should I do? You know how when reloading we have some primers that just slide into the pocket with no effort whatsoever. Would those be the cases that I have to set aside and not use them in the revo?

Has anybody here experienced this kind of malf? As always your input is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Edited by Nemo

Do you have the frame mtg firing pin ??

I have a 686 that did the same thing, the firing pin bushing had such a large convex shape

to it that after firing I could pick the primers out of the brass with my finger nail. I've seen

this issue in every frame mtg FP gun I have, some have a slight "bump" while others look

like an old "moon" hub cap !! (WOW !! I'm dating myself with that one)

I filed the bushing down flush with the recoil shield and all was well after that.

And if you don't have a frame mtg FP, you say your problem is happening with various

headstamped brass, is there one brand of brass it doesn't happen with ??

If so load up 100 of that brand and see what happens. (and now I see the above is exactly

what Nemo said :o )

Good luck

My 625 has a hammer mounted FP. This is what I'm going to do: while at the 550 I'm going to mark the cases where the primer goes in with no effort and wont use them in the revo. Then I'll sort the loaded ammo by headstamp and try to find out if there's a specific culprit to the problem.

Right now I think the culpable has been mainly the TZZ headstamp. I don't even know what brand that is. Will report back later.

Cheers,

NEMO,

I hope you get this thing cleared up. <_<

FYI........TZZ headstamp is Isreali Military.....you may not be getting a full seat on the primers as that brass has a primer pocket crimp.

GOOD brass, you just have to swage the primer pocket.

HOP

• 3 weeks later...

I have had this same problem and I have found that as the previous posters said you need to use one brand of brass and just use that lot for the wheelgun. Also before a match I will go out to my reloading room and take all of my loaded moon clips and cycle them through the revolver just to make sure there are no bent clips or high primers. I don't think you will get many primers backing out during firing. If you do, that brass should be discarded.

Hope this helps.