Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New To Rifle Reloading And Could Use Some Help

Rockclimbg

I've been reloading a variety of pistol bullets (9, 40 and 45) for about 2 years and would like to start reloading for my .223 AR-15.

I'm using a Dillon 650.

What do I need to know about making accurate rifle bullets? Are there extra steps involved? Case trimming? Case lubing? Decrimping?

What are some recommended resources (books, links, post, etc (preferable with pics)) that I could use?

I have no knowledge on the subject so any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Rockclimbg

This book will teach you how to care for and properly feed the AR-15:

http://www.zediker.com/books/ar15/ar15main.html

This book will teach you more than you ever wanted to know about rifle re-loading and then some:

http://www.zediker.com/books/handloading/hlmain.html

The methodologies delineated in Glen Zediker's books will teach you what really matters in the loading process and that in turn will allow you to figure out what doesn't matter for your own re-loading.

You will need to trim and debur cases if you use them more than 1-2 times (I trim after each use). Don't bother with brass that has crimped primers as the extra work fixing the primer pockets is just not worth the extra hassle. Dillon spray lube is the heat for rifle re-loading.

The 650 will be just fine for .223 loading> Just use Dillon dies and don't bother with the carbide size die for rifle loading.

Hornady's two book set is very good, with tables, an older set like the 5th volume is cost efective. teh older volum will just be missing some of the new loads like for the super short mags.

Case trim is for after it is shot a but Lube is not an option= even the carbide dies will 'stick a shell case and cause panick. too much lube is bad to and the lube sticks up the case feeder on the 650 = so keep it wiped out clean. Zediker books are very good

With the rifle like handgun the load is custom for what you want it to do. No one load does it all. a load for 600 is not cost efective for 150 yard shooting. and a 55 gr bullet in a 1in10 twist barrel will not hold for good groups at 600. but most don't care.

the 75 gr hornady in a 1in8 barrel will hold out to 1000 yards for a 10" group in a good AR

If you do your part with the gun and the load.

Edited by AlamoShooter