Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Broken Magazine Catch Spring

Flashooter

Fellow Glockers:

Last night while shooting a stage at our Tuesday night mini-match, the magazine catch spring gave up the ghost. The magazines dropped out of the gun about as fast as I could put in a fresh one.

At first I thought it was the oversized JP mag release button that I installed about a year ago. However, after I removed the button and mag catch I discovered that the spring itself is broken, or weak, or lose, . . .or something? I practice reloads several times per week during dry fire practice.

There is almost no tension to it, and will barely hold a full mag in place. I've never removed or replaced this small spring that sits about half way down on the inside of the grip. In appearance it somewhat resembles the pointed end of an ejector rod. Is it replaceable? How does it come out?

Any advice on fixing/replacing this is greatly appreciated!

Please don't tell me that I have to send it back to the factory.@$%#^*!?

:o

Many Thanx!

Leo

Leo

Those springs crack after a lot of use.

I asked Fred at the indoor range replace mine. I think I even gave him a new replacement for the one out of his box of parts. Just takes a small screwdriver and a pair of needle-nose pliers.

Once I got the new one in my G35 it was obvious the old part had been getting weaker for the previous 6 months at least.

Leo

Those springs crack after a lot of use.

I asked Fred at the indoor range replace mine. I think I even gave him a new replacement for the one out of his box of parts. Just takes a small screwdriver and a pair of needle-nose pliers.

Once I got the new one in my G35 it was obvious the old part had been getting weaker for the previous 6 months at least.

Hey, Eric:

I'm glad to hear the spring is replaceable. I'll see if Fred can help me replace it.

I hope to see you shoot your new 38 Super at Ruskin on Sunday!

Thanx for your quick response, Eric!

Leo

You know, I gave BJ Norris some static a few years back. He said he had broke two of those springs. I had never seen or heard of it.

But, mine cracked last year.

Get it out of the gun before you use it at ALL. If it is still in one piece, then you can take it out locally. If not, you might end up having to get a new frame from Glock.

It is easy enough to take out:

- Remove the slide. Cradle the frame in your left hand, looking down into the grip from the top, with the "muzzle" end pointing down.

- You should see that the mag release has a little notch in it on the starboard side (right side, but you are looking at it backwards, so it is on your left). And, you should see the spring.

- Take a flat tipped screw driver and push the spring to the notch. Once it is there, give it a little pry to pop it out of the notch. When it is out of the notch, the mag release can slide right out of the gun.

- Then, just take some needle nose and pull the spring straight up and out. There is nothing special holding it it, just a press fit.

- Then, just take some needle nose and pull the spring straight up and out. There is nothing special holding it it, just a press fit.

Flex and Eric:

I've got good news! And it's got nothing to do with the gecko.

With Fred's help and a bit of luck, I was able to remove the entire spring in one piece. It was cracked and just barely holding together. See the photo below. I'm glad that I didn't end up with one broken piece of metal embeded deep in the plastic and inaccessible. It pulled right out just like you both said.

With the new spring installed, it feels quite different. Like Eric said, it weakened so gradually that I was not aware of how loose it had become.

Looks like I'll be at Ruskin this Sunday.

Thanx, y'all!

Leo

post-3960-1138933357_thumb.jpg

Hey Leo, glad to hear you got it taken care of. If Fred hadnt done it, Id would have done it for you. Just re-certified my Glock Armorer certification for the 3rd time. I wish I could make it out to Ruskin this Sunday, but Im working and even if I got it off, Anthony is having the 40 blessing of his new born son at church, so I was screwed any way I went.

Hope you guys stay dry and have fun.

Hi, Kevin.

After test firing Anthony's Glock with your trigger work, I'm totally convinced of your Glock Armorer skills. Your trigger approaches the quality of my Vanek trigger!!

Eric has abandoned the Glock camp in favor of a 38 Super (how could he!?). Since you and Anthony won't be there, the Glock contingent will definitely be thin. BTW if Anthony's son receives a rattle toy it needs to be in the shape of a Glock! :P

See you guys soon!

Leo . . .aka the 'bad Leo