Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Charging My Card 3 Weeks Before Product Is Delivered

Clay1

I buy some shooting accessories and they are on back order (on purpose vague at this point). No problem with them being on back order. Product won't ship for another 3 weeks or so. I put them on my debit card and I check in on my account today and they charged my account 3 weeks before the product is even scheduled to ship.

I wrote the company and asked if this was an over sight of some kind and a computer system just did it automatically? I asked it that was their normal operating procedure.

I could be wrong, but I thought it was illegal in many states to charge you for a product that wasn't shipped.

Do find this acceptable? I don't! Even though the product is wonderful stuff, I'm considering just cancelling my order and finding another source of product (again vague at this point until I get a response from the company).

I'll give them the chance to make it right because I really like the product, but if I get the wrong answer, I will be shopping elsewhere.

Rick

Don't know if its illegal but if it isn't it should be if its not. I feel your pain, I ordered a part that was in stock when I order it, they charged my card the next day, and now its been a week and still no shipping information. I'm giving them until the end of today to respond to me email then they're getting a phone call.

I found the following information under the Wisconsin Dept. of Consumer Protection:

"Mail and Telephone Shopping

Many consumers enjoy the convenience of shopping by mail and telephone-overall, U.S. mail order sales exceed $229 billion. Merchants are required to ship mail-order merchandise within 30 days of receiving a completed order unless a longer time is clearly specified in ads or catalog listings.

For orders that cannot be shipped on time, the merchant must:

Notify the consumer of the new shipping date and give the consumer the option of canceling for a full refund. If the consumer does not respond to this notice, the merchant can presume the consumer has agreed to a delay of up to 30 days.

If the company cannot meet the revised shipping date, it must:

Send the consumer a second notice and, unless the consumer expressly consents to a second delay, cancel the order, and issue a prompt refund.

If a consumer cancels the order, the merchant is required to:

Make a full refund within seven days for cash, check or money-order sales, and within one billing cycle for charged sales. "

I did get a response from the company and they did offer to refund my money and that I could order the bullets at a later date at the new price which will go up about 10%. I just don't like this way of doing business even though it is not illegal. I think that it is bad business. Just frustrated and I don't like it. I hate it as a matter of fact and that is why it is posted under the Hate heading!

Thats why I make it a policy to charge for products when it is shipped unless asked otherwise by the customer or if its a special order item. Some special items take weeks or months to get and if it is a true custom item then I have to make sure the thing is paid for before I order it. Cant be ordering items that arent quickly moved and when they come in find out the card is no longer good or expired.

Sounds like you have a good business plan there Chuck. By the way so there is no confusion you had nothing to do with the subject of this thread but since you posted here I will take the time to thank you for a very prompt shipment that I received yesterday.

I ordered 10,000 pasters from you on Friday and they came yesterday on Tuesday. Nice prompt service deserves recognition. Thanks for quick ship, Chuck.

Rick Ingle

Edited by Clay1

Don't know if its illegal but if it isn't it should be if its not. I feel your pain, I ordered a part that was in stock when I order it, they charged my card the next day, and now its been a week and still no shipping information. I'm giving them until the end of today to respond to me email then they're getting a phone call.

Go them on the phone and now its "sorry that part was out of stock but we just got some in today so it should be going out". WTF, I'm pretty easy to get along with as long I as I what's going on, these guys can't even return an email in a timely manner!

I would cancel the order but I want they're part specifically so I guess I'll just shut up and wait. :angry:

To top it off I just found out that UPS lost a scope I ordered from someone else!!!! I just want to add fun parts to my AR, why me..... :wacko:

Edit: Beautiful, just found out I have to wait up to 8 business days while UPS tries to "find" the missing package with my scope in it. It just keeps getting better........ <_<

Edited by j2fast