Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

230gr Bullets: Fmj Vs. Jhp

alzo

I have been loading 230gr FMJ for years. I never had a problem and accuracy has always been great. I am thinking about switching to 230gr JHP, mostly to avoid the exposed lead base without going to plated bullets. I have no experience loading 230gr JHP's . For those of you who reload both, are there any reasons to stick with one vs the other ? Do the JHP's perform about the same as FMJ ? Any concerns ? Thanks.

Edited by alzo

I don't believe there would be any significant difference at the distances we normally shoot.

If you were shooting at extreme range such as silhouette shooting there might be a small difference in trajectory and point of impact.

However if you were doing that you probably wouldn't be using a 45.

There may or may not be feeding issues.

Some guns will run better with one profile or the other but that varies from gun to gun.

If your gun doesn't like the JHP, that might be corrected by playing with the OAL.

The main difference is what happens when the bullet impacts the target such as expansion vs. penetration, etc.

Hope this helps.

Tls

I was using Montana Golds 230FMJ and found I couldn't load them as long because they were too fat (ogive??). I compared them to W-W & Remingtons 230's & I was right. I then used MG 230 JHP's and they were fine. I found no difference in the two (other than price). If your FMJ's are doing good I would leave it alone. If it matters I use a Springfield T.Match longslide. I'm going to use the 5" version for the SS division here shortly.

And XTP's would be a great bullet too!

Or HAPS.

But there is some lead exposure. :(

I think you would really have to work at it to touch the lead of a JHP.

It wouldn't be like loading a lead semi wadcutter like I used to like.

JHP have the wieght in the back, like a Porsche 911.

In theory that's why they fly well.

YMMV

FM