Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited Shotgun Reloads

I just received a bandoleer and side saddle from 3GunGear and I must say I am VERY disappointed.  It is too difficult to remove shells from the holders (I find the plastic side saddle to be much easier to use) and the gear is difficult to position properly.  Everyone I've heard from seems to think this gear is the cat's meow, but I must disagree.  It seems most cumbersome to use.  

What are some other popular means to carry spare shotgun re-loads for limited?  I've seen a device that holds six shells made by Choate but I can't seem to find it anywhere.  Anyone know where to get this or have any better ideas on how to carry spare ammo?

Michael Brown

Michael, I'm sorry that you're unhappy with the 3gungear equipment.  I do think it's the cat's meow and much prefer their sidesaddle over the plastic ones.

I believe Bushmaster carries or carried the choate shell holders.

well, they ARE elastic, leave them loaded for a while if they are too tight, that should help some, or get some 10 gauge shells and stick in there for a couple days. ( just my idea with tight elastic shell belts it works)

brownell's carries the choate carriers also.

Will you guys run down how you carry all this spare shotgun ammo?  Do you have any problems with needing  room for a pistol or rifle mag holders?  I hear many stages incorporate two or three weapons.  How do you get equipment for all three on at the same time?

Michael Brown

I've purchased all sorts of shotshell carriers: belt mounted holders, armbands, thigh holders, and 3gungear's bandolier so I can put shot shells all over my body. If I put them all on and I fall down, I can't get up!

Normally, I rely on a 5 or 10 round holder on the front of my belt, an armband (8 rd) and the shells on the shotgun (10rd).   That allows for spare pistol and even a rifle mag on my belt.  It really depends on the stage.

I used to use choate carriers.  They are well made and reliable.  I could never master grabbing more than one round at a time.  Plenty of people have though.  The chaote carrier is also space efficient as it holds 6 rounds vertically and allows more room on your belt.  They are a good way to go I personally prefer mark buchanan's stuff.  

Mark has now designed a belt-attached thigh holder for rifle and pistol mags that is SWEET.  It gives you a lot more room on your belt.

Quote: from kellyn on 9:46 pm on July 24, 2001

4) The fastest loads come from the side saddle or arm-band b/c the shell is closest to the loading gate.

Is the consensus that the buttstock carriers just suck?  I've never tried one, but I haven't seen them mentioned in the thread.

Lincoln

• 2 weeks later...

Earlier in this thread it was stated that most of the shooters winning shotgun stages load with the strong hand.  As an exception, Taran Butler grabs four shells at a time from his choate carrier weak handed.  His shot to shot splits while loading eight rounds is around 7.5 seconds when things go well and 9.5 when they don't.

Food for thought.

Buttstock carriers have a purpose - I put one on my wrist for the NRA HQ's 3 gun the other night and it worked - of course I have forearms like a girl so the circulation to my hand was not completely cut off (sorry Kath - no offense). I also put a butstock carrier around the forearm of the X2 and it worked OK as well - 5 rounds right next to the port and it did not interfear witht he sight. They were Uncle Mike's brand - I am such a cheap bastard.