Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Small Upgrades Now Or Wait For The Whole Enchillata?

j2fast

So the impulse buy fairy convinced me to buy a Rock River Entry Tactical that was a good deal at a gun show (first AR). Eventually I'd like to get into 3 Gun it's just not in the cards at this time but I'd like to start upgrading my AR a little at a time.

Is it crazy to add a rifle length JP free float hand guard with a low profile gas block from YHM to my 16" AR instead of the shorter one?

My money manager (read wife) tells me that its not in the cards to buy a JP upper or send the gun to someone like Benny for the full treatment. Eventually I want to go to an 18 or 20 inch barrel my thinking is that if I buy a full length hand guard now I can still use it once I upgrade the barrel.

Other than the hand guard I ordered a Benny Hill special Simmons from CDNN, a comp (Miculek, Benny or Cooley not sure) which can also be moved to a longer barrel when the opportunity comes, and maybe even the JP Short Range Tactical Sight.

Any thoughts or comments appreciated.

Edited by j2fast

Use the 16, add the full length floated handguard and little gas block. I would use Benny Hill comp. Add a JP trigger and the simmons. Shoot it a lot and then shoot it some more. When the barrel is gone replace it with the one of your choice and do it again.-----Larry

I have this exact setup. I hack sawed the front sight off and rounded it with a file then installed the full length tube. I works great!! Burn out a few barrels befor you jump on the trick stuff! You will be better off in the long run!! KURTM