Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock steel race gun

dave pasos

Dave,

No luck getting answers yet?  I noticed you have posted on different boards.  

Maybe get a little more specific in what you are looking to do.  Are you going with comps and optics?  Are you looking for load data?  Are you dedicating a gun to shoot just steel?

I am interested in the answer too.  I have only shoot one steel match.  Are they all setup the same?  Five plates per stage, five strings per stage?

Thanks for the ideas!  When I looked at the forum and saw someone answer I got alittle excited!!!  No, not all steel matches are the same.  Some are like what you mentioned but alot are like IPSC only with steel.  So I high cap. pistol would be nice to have.  

From what Ive seen a mod. 17 with a ported 6" barrel, trigger work, optic but monted low and some 17 rd mags maybe  one 27 rd mag would be a good set-up.  And not too expensive also.  What do you think?

I don't know that you will get any more accuracy out of a longer barrel.  If you have a longer slide (17L or 34) then you might benefit from the increased sight radius.  I don't think it would be worth buying another gun though.  If you have a 17 run with it.  A longer slide might even make the gun seem to cycle slower.

My G17 (actually my girfriends gun) shoots great.  I put an extended mag release and extended slide stop on it.  I also sent it of to JP Enterprises to have the trigger worked.  I hate to shoot with any other gun.

I shoot with the original Glock sights.  I don't really have any problem with them.  I do think it would help me if I had more light around the front sight.  I haven't been able to find anything under .125 inches yet.  I'll stay with stock until I do.

I have an Optima sight.  It doesn't mount to the gun well.  I had to shim it up to get it to hit pont of aim.  I should go upstairs and box it up right now.  Tasco has promised me a replacement.  If I where to buy another Optima I would get a mount from EGW instead of the Tasco mount.

The racers on Glock Talk seem to like the big Tasco tube,  PDP5CMP.

Check out:  http://www.topglock.com/catalog/sights.htm

If you do go the comp route then you might want to get a barrel and comp (from KKM or Barsto) in 9x21.  You will be able to adjust your load to your game.  9x21 will make major for USPSA.

what else......?

• 4 weeks later...

Dave,

Did you ever get this figured out?

I am going to sneak this question into a different thread.  I am going to leave the word "Glock" out.  

I think you have the right idea about the mags.  Even in a match where they limit you to ten or less rounds you still benefit from having that double stack.  It is just quicker.

• 1 month later...

Frankenstein, my GSSF UL gun, is headed in this direction. Currently he has a G17C top end, KKM 9x21 barrel and comp, G22 frame. PDP5CMP dot. Titanium parts and light springs, GlockMeister trigger. Titanium guiderod and big brass magwell. Taylor Freelance +10 basepads for a total of 27 rounds. 120-something grain bullet over N340 at VV's published max load. Shoots a 137 pf. The only thing left to do is put side ports on the comp and lighten the slide. The gun is fast. Before his "surgery" is complete, he'll make a tour of the USPSA Open Nationals just for fun.

BTW, his name is Frankenstein because his head doesn't match his body and he has parts I've dug up from all over the country.  

Debbie

(Edited by GlockLady at 7:54 pm on Aug. 29, 2001)

• 5 months later...

I'm thinking about the same thing. A G34 frame, a G17 slide, KMM barrel and comp., THE scope mount w/ C-More, THE Magwell and +5 basepads. I want to use it for double... triple... actually quadruple duty!!!

Right now I use my Gen2 G17 for IDPA and USPSA Production. I plan on buying a G34 real soon and thought of building a steel/open/unlimited gun. There is a club that runs Steel Challenge type matches monthly and I want to get in on the fun.

I wanted to use the setup described above, has anyone tried it and have experience? Also, I do not plan on reloading 9mm so will factory ammo (say... Blazer) cycle the slide with the compensator? Is the compensator even necessary? I guess with this setup, I can also run in USPSA Open in Minor caliber? Runing in USPSA Open with a 9mm Glock... Will I get laughed at?

Just a thought. Sounds like a fun project. What do you expert GLOCKERS think?

Runin Ronin

Glocklady's gun is about right with a few more thoughts/ ideas: Steel Challenge and light-set falling steel is a 9x19 game; look over on the open gun forum & you'll see that some of the top guys are winning with bullets as light as 90 grains. It just has to ping (or fall) so 9x21 is out. Steel guns emphasize speed over all else; light weight seems to equal speed so keep that glock light. It would seem the compensated glocks are the way to go over a comp gun that puts weight out at the end of your gun's barrel. If you comp, ask BP to make you a Ti comp.

As for optics, look at Dale's setup in Fronsight; although he used the C-more, I think the OKO sight is lighter and just as big. I don't like the optima.

Let us know what sort of frankenglock you end up with. D

RR,

If you just want to get in on the fun of the Steel match...shoot your G17.  They probably have a seperate catagory for "open" vs. "limited" guns.

FWIW, here is the setup that I am looking at for "multiple" duty...

- G35 frame (for the strength of the extra locking block pin)

- G22 slide (that is what I have, a G17 slide would do too)

- KKM barrel and comp in 9x21 (regular 9mm and 9x21 are pretty much the same thing.  9x21 is legal for Major in USPSA and there are listed loads for 9x21 that will make Major)

- 170mm base pads, these will give +8 to +10

- THE scope mount (Glockmeister offers what looks like the same one)

- Red dot scope

- Trigger work, lightening, and spring work to suit.

I think that to be competitive, a shooter will need to reload.  It takes a slower burning powder to get enough gas to work the compensator.  With reloading you will be able to build up a reduced power load for steel as well as a Major load for USPSA.

The 40 slide can be used in IDPA and production too.  I just made up some minor loads that seem pretty accurate out of the 40.

(Edited by Flexmoney at 12:19 pm on Feb. 28, 2002)

A compensator with factory 9x19 is probably a bad idea unless it's unusually light (small, aluminum, or titanium). You probably won't have enough energy to cycle the gun with a big steel comp on the muzzle. Ports would probably work better. Ask Hoss at Custom Glock Racing.

You know there's probably a stock/iron sights divisions at the steel matches, right? There are multiple at the Steel Challenge.

The steel club matches do include other divisions such as Limited, Open, IDPA, and .22...! I plan on using my Hammerli Trailside with a Tasco ProPoint in the .22 division. I could run my G17 in the IDPA division but, I  wanted an excuse to build an open/steel/ GSSF UL gun.

I have seen pictures of a barrel that had 4 ports that exited out of the cutout on top of the G34 and G35. Just like a G24C.  Is this a better (faster) setup that having a comp??? Or will buying a G17C be a better idea?

Another thing I failed to mention earlier is that I have six GLOCK 17rd FML magazines that I would like to put to use. That is why i am trying to stick to 9mm.

I do plan on reloading but, not in the immediate future. I know if I continue on my path, I will eventually reload.

thank you all for your responses, I look forward to more replys.

-John

I didn't mention that the ammo for Frankenstein runs around 140pf...  The weight of the comp can inhibit cycling of the slide, no matter how light you go on the recoil spring. And you don't want too light a recoil spring because of the out of battery potential.

My un-scientific load selection was based on how much powder it took to get the gun to reliably cycle. I was just lucky enough that it shoots to point of aim out to 25 yards.

I changed barrels to 9x19 without the comp to shoot the Opens. Never having shot Frank in an IPSC match, it was a hoot...  I'll stick with my iron sights. I don't ever *lose* those.

BTW, Frank's top end is from a 17C which was shelved due to lack of accuracy. (The frame is a G22, hence the name Frankenstein... His "head" doesn't match his "body", get it?

Debbie

Quote: from Carlos on 8:46 am on Feb. 28, 2002

Glocklady's gun is about right with a few more thoughts/ ideas: Steel Challenge and light-set falling steel is a 9x19 game; look over on the open gun forum & you'll see that some of the top guys are winning with bullets as light as 90 grains. It just has to ping (or fall) so 9x21 is out. <snip>

(Edited by GlockLady at 11:53 am on Mar. 1, 2002)

(Edited by GlockLady at 11:54 am on Mar. 1, 2002)

There a lot of options for an open steel gun but I have built a bunch of them also.

My current steel gun is a 17 slide, and a 6 inch barrel with 3 ports.  I will be rebuilding it shortly with a standard barrel and a short 1 chamber comp, not sure if it will work with light loads yet but thats part of R&D.

For simplicity porting is the way to go, the type of porting would depend on your slide and personal preferences.

Many optic choices but I use a THE Tubenator mount with an Aimpoint Comp XD.

If your going to shoot factory ammo check out the PMC 115, shoots real soft.

If you need any help just let me know.

matt

I think I will go towards what Matt at CGR is saying...

Matt, Do you have a ported barrel for the G34? not an extended one but, one where the ports are through the opening on the G34 slide?

I emailed this guy (Glockmutt) and asked him how his G34 was with a Glockworks ported barrel, he seems to like it very well and he shoots with factory ammo (Wolf and PMC) without a problem. Here is a link to his site:

http://hometown.aol.com/glockmutt/index4.html

Thank you all for the responses. It looks like I have enough justification for me to build a new toy. Here is the plan:

GLOCK 34

CGR or Glockworks ported barrel

CGR Tubenator ( I already have a 30mm red dot)

Magwell

Basepads

I'll check back when the project is complete. Thank you everyone for your responses.

Quote: from Custom Glock Racing on 11:34 am on Mar. 2, 2002

We only use Barsto barrels these days and we can do a variety of lengths and porting designs, including ports that utilize the factory slide cut of a 34/35.

Dont forget a nice trigger for that steel gun either.

Wal, do you mean a Limited steel gun?

matt

Yes, Limited.