Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scheduling

Jake Di Vita

Looking on the USPSA Match Calendar....

There are 11 (only counting what is on that site) major USPSA matches in June.....11.... In August there is 1.

Not to mention all the Area matches that are scheduled on the same weekend.

Looks like organization is a thing of the past... :angry::angry::angry:

I hate that by the time one considers

-- the weekends not available in the year due to seasonal issues

-- the weekends not available in the year due to school schedules

-- the weekends not available in the year due to other events on multi-use ranges

-- the weekends not available in the year due to various Nationals

-- the weekends not available in the year due to ... other factors

... we wind up with remarkably few good-weather, school-break, no-range-conflict, non-nationals weekends from which to choose dates for a lot of other matches.

Bruce (had to work to make that come out like a Hate rant ;-)

I've been especially frustrated by this year's match scheduling, including the one I scheduled, but I have to say that until you try to do it you can't really understand how tough it has become. When you start throwing in the holiday weekends (no shooting on mother's day, etc.), factor in all the big matches we all want to attend around the US, and then you try to stick in at least a two week cushion between the other big matches in your own area, you really don't have many openings left. I guess I could have scheduled our match for August but I'm not sure how much fun it would be for the two or three guys crazy enough to want to shoot a two day match in Jackson in August.

John

At risk of beginning a debate.... all I'll say is that I tend to dislike that there isn't some very forward planning around match dates of the Nationals and Area matches, allowing a schedule to develop around the big Major matches. I mean, like, working on the 2007 schedule right now.

I'll concede that scheduling a match is difficult, as is finding a host club, etc. It's not a simple task at all. All the more reason to start further out and get commitments and nail things down, so that other, smaller matches can choose dates in between, or dates that conflict with distant matches, etc.

I hate that one couldn't go shoot each Area match, if desired :( (and that there might not be one of them, too.... :( )

This is just an observation - none of this is to take away from the tremendous effort that is expended in putting these matches on!!!

For the southern states at least....why not use January, February, November, and December? That's a third of the year automatically out.

Jake,

The number of hours of available daylight become a factor in the cooler months. A couple of months back we ran the Ga. State 3-Gun match and finished by the warm glow of headlights on 2 trucks.

Beyond that, you're right - the weather here in the winter can be pretty nice to play in. You just can't predict when it will turn real nasty.

Why can't we attempt to devise something of a consistent schedule from year to year like the PGA or NASCAR do. Tournaments and races are always the same month on a similar weekend of that month. Big tournaments (the Masters, Daytona 500, our Nationals) are set first. Other big events (the Memorial, the Doral in golf - Area matches in our sport) are set next. Section matches would work around the Nationals and Area matches. Southern locations get earlier spring and later fall matches. Northern climates get the middle of the summer. I understand the daylight problem, even in the south, during the late fall, winter, and early spring. How about adding an extra day and spreading things out.

XRe is right - we should strive to have next year's (i.e. Nationals and Area) match scheduled as this year's is held.

I fully expect a post from an AD (Gary Stevens comes to mind) extolling the difficulties of getting things done as they are now, let alone a year ahead of time. I understand and appreciate this. It's not something do-able right now. But goals are not met that are not set.

Edited by davidball