Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cd And Dvd Drives Aren't Showing Up

One computer is acting up. Tried to burn a CD the another nite and nothing happened.

It has Windows XP, so I clicked "start" there in the bottom left, then "my computer" and looked at "devices with removable storage", the two burners weren't showing up. Heck the floppy drive might not have showed up either.

The card readers showed up though.

I was hoping somebody on this forum could help me out.

Thanks,

Chills

One computer is acting up. Tried to burn a CD the another nite and nothing happened.

It has Windows XP, so I clicked "start" there in the bottom left, then "my computer" and looked at "devices with removable storage", the two burners weren't showing up. Heck the floppy drive might not have showed up either.

The card readers showed up though.

I was hoping somebody on this forum could help me out.

Thanks,

Chills

Right click on my computer, go to Manage, then storage/disk management.

Do they show up there?

As an aside, what has been done differently since the last time you used them? Did you open the box, change memory, move anything around?

Edited by vluc

If you put a commercial DVD, or Audio CD into the drives does it mount and read. If so, the drives are working and your burning problem is probably software related. If the disc's won't mount, then it's likely a hardware issue.

I sometimes have a glitch when it boots and it doesn't pick up that IDE channel. I'll drop a cd into the drive and nothing.. A reboot usually solves it and I can see the drive after that. Otherwise what someone else said, might be a cable problem. You may also have this issue if it does this after an install and both are set to "master" and not one set to "master" and the other set to "slave".

Vince

Thanks for the responses so far, especially Vluc.

Right clicked on "my computer" like you said, etc, etc.

I decided to click on "device management" too. It showed two exlcamation points by the CD and DVD drives icons. Clicked on that and it gave me a troubleshooting option which I haven't done yet.

I figured I'd run Lavasoft's Ad-Aware first.

This is actually the GF's daughter's computer that is acting up. I figured with all the websites she goes to and the IM'ing something along the lines of spyware/malware might be causing the problem.

Sure enough! Ad-aware popped up with several warning windows, one of which said something along the lines of "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" and some other stuff and then it also said "NoCDBurning".

So in all, Ad-Aware found 139 bad objects which I stuck into quarantine.

That must have also forced Norton Anti-virus into action and it came back with 2 or 3 Trojan viruses.

After all that, I went back to "my computer" etc, and the two exclamation points are still there by the CD and DVD drives icons.

So after posting this, I'm gonna shut this 'puter down and reboot.

See what happens.....dang spyware sucks!!!

Danke,

Chills

Thanks for the responses so far, especially Vluc.

Right clicked on "my computer" like you said, etc, etc.

I decided to click on "device management" too. It showed two exlcamation points by the CD and DVD drives icons. Clicked on that and it gave me a troubleshooting option which I haven't done yet.

I figured I'd run Lavasoft's Ad-Aware first.

This is actually the GF's daughter's computer that is acting up. I figured with all the websites she goes to and the IM'ing something along the lines of spyware/malware might be causing the problem.

Sure enough! Ad-aware popped up with several warning windows, one of which said something along the lines of "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" and some other stuff and then it also said "NoCDBurning".

So in all, Ad-Aware found 139 bad objects which I stuck into quarantine.

That must have also forced Norton Anti-virus into action and it came back with 2 or 3 Trojan viruses.

After all that, I went back to "my computer" etc, and the two exclamation points are still there by the CD and DVD drives icons.

So after posting this, I'm gonna shut this 'puter down and reboot.

See what happens.....dang spyware sucks!!!

Danke,

Chills

Download microsofts anti-spyware as well.

Now, make sure NAV is set to auto-protect, then dl spywareblaster...blocks stuff before it even gets to you.

We all really need to run a dyual to triple layer set-up if we frequent different sites. One for spyware/malware, one for viruses and one from trojans and rootkits. The days of the one program to protect against all just isn't there anymore. I use adaware, spybot s&d, ewido, blacklight, nav, spywareblaster. All at least once a week and all I ever find is some tracking cookes. Not too bad.

Try this site for a bunch of great leads and tips:

46 best