Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So No Big Hub-bub....

10mmdave

Dave, that the was exact same thought I had when I saw that article.

Looks to me like original 25-2s are starting to jump up in price lately....I still view 'em as shooters and not collector guns, so I don't like seeing the values go up, 'cause I sure wouldn't mind having another.

With my 625 off being plated, I shot my old 25-2 at yesterday's club match (the same gun I bought up at Riley's in Hooksett back around '87 or '88), and it was a very nice and comfortable feeling indeed!

I am trying to get excited about them re-introducing the wheel.....I guess I feel like they shouldnt have quit making blue steel guns and then get to reintroduce them at a new and improved much higher price. It is their barbeque though, and other than the cylinder stop issue on the stainless guns they are making incredible guns now. I wonder how the cylinders will hold up on the blue guns? If they hold up like the old guns then we have our answer.... :lol: , and yes, I am strapped or I would be buying one of the new .45acp Revos..... ;) DougC

There's no big hub-bub over the "new" S&W Model 29, because, according to my friend, the S&W "Purist" (my label):

"It isn't a REAL Smith & Wesson Model 29!!!! It's just a reproduction gun"

FWIW, my friend owns over a dozen S&W Model 29's, but hasn't bought a new S&W since the mid-90's.

His litany of complaints includes:

The internal lock (AKA the Lawyer Lock)

MIM parts, instead of hand-fitted forged parts

It's not a P&R (Pinned barrel & Recessed cylinder)

It's not a 3-T (Target Trigger, Target Hammer, Target Grips)

The grips are not real Goncalo Alves wood

The finish isn't the original S&W Bright Blue

The sights aren't the original style red ramp front and white outline rear

The frame and barrel isn't the same style, wrong top strap, with no grooving from the rear sight to the barrel.....

and on, and on and on and on............... :blink:

And my comment is "Good grief, Charlie Brown!!!" with apologies to Schulz for using his line

At least S&W is making an effort to meet the wishes of wheelgunners with a classic style, blued steel, big-bore revolver. IMHO, a lot of S&W's current revolvers are very good guns, very well made.

10mmdave: I'm with you, I'd like to see a 25-2 return to the lineup. The new Model 22-4 doesn't quite fit my needs/wants, because I feel the need for adjustable sights.

As for the "Good Old Days" In the 80's part of my job responsibilities included being an armorer taking care of a bunch of S&W revolvers, of 1970's and 1980's manufacture. Both blued and stainless, K frame guns. As far as fit and finish, parts quality and durability...it could be very good, or it could be veeeeery bad. I saw hammers, triggers, cylinder stops, hands, extractors, and almost any other part you can name, break, wear out, or otherwise fail, if used (or abused) enough. And sometimes there wasn't all that much use, but still some parts failed. And we even had some that didn't work, at all, right out of the S&W box.

The more things change, the more they stay the same, sometimes..... ;)