Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chrono Results Of .38 Special Factory Rnl Ammo

revchuck

Before any of the mods ask, this isn't load data, so that's why it's here instead of there. :P

Folks - I'm mainly an IDPA shooter. I normally load my own competition ammo, but recently ran out and wondered whether any factory ammo would make the required power factor of 125. To that end, I bought an assortment of factory .38 Special RNL ammo to check it.

The ammo I obtained was 158 grain loads from Sellier & Bellot, Federal American Eagle, Magtech, and Winchester (actually, their loads are 150 grain). I tried to find both Remington-UMC and PMC, but was unable to locate any.

The guns used were 4" S&W .38 Specials - a M10-5, a M10-8, and a M67-1.

Results key: SB = Sellier & Bellot; AE = Federal American Eagle; MT = Magtech; WW = Winchester. Velocity is reported as average velocity/extreme spread/standard deviation. The result are based on a single cylinderful of ammo - I wasn't looking for statistical precision, just a ballpark idea.

M10-5 - SB: 869/40/17; AE: 739/15/6; MT: 723/56/21; WW: 755/54/18.

M10-8 - SB: 890/41/16; AE: 747/45/17; MT: 735/24/10; WW: 770/38/16.

M67-1 - SB: 853/32/11; AE: 708/38/14; MT: 716/41/15; WW: 749/71/27.

Additional data, added 28 Jan 06 (both guns 4"):

M19-3 - SB: 863/78/28; AE 130 grain FMJ: 750/49/18

M13-2 - SB: 843/41/16; AE 130 grain FMJ: 754/58/20

The Federal, Winchester and Magtech ammo came in about where I thought they would, and their velocities are right where I've chronographed them before in other guns. But the S&B was unexpected! It'd probably make the PF from a snubby. ;)

I didn't check any of this ammo for accuracy or leading. I had honey-dews waiting at home. :D I can note that both M10s had at least 50 rounds of my handloads (158 grain Zero RNLS @ 850 fps) through them prior to the testing and that there was no leading present in any of the guns at the end of the testing.

Just FYI...

Edited by revchuck

Before any of the mods ask, this isn't load data, so that's why it's here instead of there. :P

Folks - I'm mainly an IDPA shooter. I normally load my own competition ammo, but recently ran out and wondered whether any factory ammo would make the required power factor of 125. To that end, I bought an assortment of factory .38 Special RNL ammo to check it.

The ammo I obtained was 158 grain loads from Sellier & Bellot, Federal American Eagle, Magtech, and Winchester (actually, their loads are 150 grain). I tried to find both Remington-UMC and PMC, but was unable to locate any.

The guns used were 4" S&W .38 Specials - a M10-5, a M10-8, and a M67-1.

Results key: SB = Sellier & Bellot; AE = Federal American Eagle; MT = Magtech; WW = Winchester. Velocity is reported as average velocity/extreme spread/standard deviation. The result are based on a single cylinderful of ammo - I wasn't looking for statistical precision, just a ballpark idea.

M10-5 - SB: 869/40/17; AE: 739/15/6; MT: 723/56/21; WW: 755/54/18.

M10-8 - SB: 890/41/16; AE: 747/45/17; MT: 735/24/10; WW: 770/38/16.

M67-1 - SB: 853/32/11; AE: 708/38/14; MT: 716/41/15; WW: 749/71/27.

The Federal, Winchester and Magtech ammo came in about where I thought they would, and their velocities are right where I've chronographed them before in other guns. But the S&B was unexpected! It'd probably make the PF from a snubby. ;)

I didn't check any of this ammo for accuracy or leading. I had honey-dews waiting at home. :D I can note that both M10s had at least 50 rounds of my handloads (158 grain Zero RNLS @ 850 fps) through them prior to the testing and that there was no leading present in any of the guns at the end of the testing.

Just FYI...

Thanks for the information. I opened this forum today in search of this exact info.

I am going to my first IDPA next month and have agonized over which gun to use. I've decided on my S&W M66 4" because I carry a revolver (642) and I believe that practice loading and firing DA revolver under stress has to be good.

Since this is indoors, I have to used jacketed ammo. I'll have to buy some, do you have any recommendations?

Thanks!

TLD - The only jacketed ammo I've ever chronoed that made the PF was Fiocchi 158 grain FMJ - going by memory, it went 870 fps from a 3" M37. That was about 10 years ago.

I've heard that Speer Lawman 158 grain +P TMJ makes the PF, but I've never tried it myself.

• 4 weeks later...

I've heard that Speer Lawman 158 grain +P TMJ makes the PF, but I've never tried it myself.

It does do that rather well.

Ted

The joys of shooting ICORE..... Several factory ammos have approval whether they make power factor or not. Icores PF is 120, but I know for a fact Jerry M didn't have time to load before last years IRC, so bought Federal 158gr loads as they were on the approved list, and when chrono'd made 117 pf out of his 6" barrel ..... <_<

• 3 weeks later...

Good info!!!

I believe IDPA should follow ICORE's rules for its SSR division allowing us to use factory ammo despite PF. Just a thought!

Now, how hard are S&B's primers compared to Federal, Winchester, etc.?

Edited by xuxupecheur

I fired all of these chrono rounds DA, and had no problems. The M67 uses a reduced power Wolff mainspring, the two M10 were pretty much stock. My guess, based on primer appearance, is that the S&B primers are about the same hardness as Winchesters.

Good info!!!

I believe IDPA should follow ICORE's rules for its SSR division allowing us to use factory ammo despite PF. Just a thought!

A local gunsmith uses S&B ammo to test for "duty action job" reliability. He says they are the hardest. So he says. Chris