Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Shooter - Competing W/a 9mm

govitman

I want to start competing in the IDPA, but am not quite certain on the rules. From what I can see it looks like you in a way get penalized for shooting a 9mm.

The reason I want to shoot a 9mm is due to the cost. For buget reason I will be able to practice a lot more by shooting a 9mm rather than a .40 or .45.

Also, I just put money down on a Springfield XD 9mm. Should I suck it up and get the .45 or go with the 9mm.

With that said, I do own a Glock .40

Any thoughts

Thanks - Michael

I am new to the sight, so if this has been answered before can you please point me in the right direction.

There is no penalty to shooting 9mm in IDPA. In IDPA, the scoring of hits on a target is not affected by the power of your ammunition. In other words, if you put 9mm-sized holes in the same scoring zones that 45 ACP rounds hit, both would get the same score on the target.

Your 9mm ammunition does have to meet the minimum power factor (bullet wieght in grains x muzzle speed in feet per second) of 125,000 in order to compete. Not meeting this requirement could result in a DQ at a match that uses a chronograph to check competitors, but most, if not all, factory 9mm ammunition reaches 125,000.

(In USPSA, shots not in the A zone get scored differently for shooters using less powerful ammunition, like 9mm, as opposed to shooters with more powerful ammunition).

Actually, I want to think the XD falls into ESP (don't ask!)......but again, it will fit in nicely there. If you spring the bucks for a Canyon Creek trigger job, it's even better.

Good luck!!

Welcome to the forum.

Mike

Your right. I might have mis-spoke on the proper IDPA division. (I've got into the habit of saying IDPA's SSP is almost idnetical to USPSA's Production.)

But, still no problem with a 9mm XD ini IDPA or USPSA, right?

Edited by Flexmoney

No problems with the XD in IDPA and yes you will be in Enhanced service pistol. Stock Service Pistol is for double action and the "safe action" Glock. Springfield advertises the pistol as a single action weapon and Enhanced Service Pistol is for Single action weapons.

Govitman, I like the way you think. You will shoot more with the 9mm because it is less expensive to shoot. You're in for some serious fun. Remember that you can take that same gun and try USPSA too. Here is a nice link with a club locator. You just put in your zip code and it will give you clubs in your area. http://www.uspsa.org/ On the left hand side it says: "Where can I find a match?" Click on that.

Have fun.

Thanks for all the replies. I really do appreciate your help and guidance.

I picked up my Springfield XD 9mm last night. Haven't shot it yet, but already know I am going to love it. Feel kind of guilty though. I have shot Glock for the last 8 years. When I put the two side by side last night I could have sworn I heard my Glock start growling, ha ha ha.

I was suprised that the Sprindfield XD 9mm is physically a biggger gun than my Glock 32. I mis-spoke in my original post. I own a Glock 32, but sub'ed out the .357 barrel with a .40...again, to reduce cost. I found a guy at a gun show who was selling high quality .40 reloads for $125/1000. I haven't seen him since that one time, so figured quality 9mm reloads for a good price would be easier to find.

Anyhow, again...thanks for all your help and guidance. Hope to meet some of you one day at an IDPA match.

Michael

My wife and I both use XDs in IDPA competition and I occasionally shoot my XD-9 service in USPSA production. The XD is a great pistol, and with a trigger job (see the sponsor section of this forum for information on Canyon Creek) it's certainly competitive, though, as others stated above, the XD is classed as an ESP pistol by IDPA rules. This means that if your shooting against IDPA "race guns" (SVI/STIs and 1911s.)

The other nice thing about the XD is it has a grip angle very similar to the 1911 family.