Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fitting recoil springs to Glocks??

Mark Perez

There is a thread going on in the gun springs section ;

http://www.brianenos.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard...=28&topic=6

Is this possible with Glocks and "non-captured" springs ?

I know there has been mention of clipping springs [as it relates to glocks] but never any comment on purposely 'fitting the spring' as mentioned in the thread.

By clipping the glock spring by trial and error- is fitting a resulting by product?

Or are the 2 gun platforms so different that the benefits of fitting a spring to a 1911 don't carry over to the glock?

MP

I would be suprised if all of the stock (captured) recoil spring's coils touch before the slide contacts the locking block.  I would hope Gaston thought of that one.

As far as buying an aftermarket guide rod and installing non-captured springs, the above mentioned discussion may apply.  

I'm expecting a 13# ISMI spring for my G20 in the mail today.  I'll let you know if there are specific directions to "fit" it.  But again, I would hope that ISMI thought about the full motion of travel required when they offer a "Glock recoil spring".  

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer the feel of the 13 pound spring in both my 34 and 35 also.  One word of caution, if you're going to put another spring on the stock plastic rod assembly, be careful taking it apart.  You can insert a length of coat hanger wire into the rod and knock the pin out that holds the assembly together.  The pin will lift off and be gone if you aren't careful.  I usually get one of the gallon ziploc bags and work in that, so when it comes apart everything is contained within the bag.

Well, I installed the ISMI 13# flat-wound recoil spring.

It wouldn't fit on my Wolffe steel guide rod, so I had to buy a Glockmiester "captured" tungsten rod (heavy).

I used to think I had a 12# spring in the mighty G20,....well I did once.  It's seen thousands of rds and I even clipped some coils off.  When I installed the ISMI 13# spring and pulled the slide back for the first time, it felt reallllllly heavy!  hmmmm.....

So, I decided to check (as best I could) the 12# springs actual resistance.  I got the trigger scale out, opened the slide about half way and inserted the trigger scale's finger onto the slide's breechface.  My scale goes to 7lbs but the follower still moves another inch or so.  So I guestimated the actual spring resistance at 8lbs.  8 POUNDS??!!!

Geez, I've been shooting thousands of rounds through this Glock with an 8lb spring??!!

Hey, it works for me so I decided to start cutting the ISMI spring until I reached around 9-10lbs (maybe it'll break-in to around 8lbs soon).  It took about an inch cut off to get the spring to 9-10lbs.  I then pulled back manually on the slide.......ahhhh that's better.

Shot a match Sunday, works as usual.......just a bit heavier in the nose with that tungsten rod...I like it.

BTW, the ISMI package didn't say a word about fitting the spring.

Delmont, I like the setup. Wish I could find a lighter spring for my 34.  Chris is right about removing the GR plug. I capture the rod in my vise so there is no spring pressure on the plug when I remove it. I made an extra long guide rod out of D2 steel the other day for my 34 and 35 to shoot IDPA ESP. You have to use the plastic rod in SSP. I have mixed opinions about the T.H.E. long tungsten GR. Mine is developing a groove where it goes through the slide.

You can get into trouble by shortening the recoil spring too much in a Glock.