Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Different Recoil...

spook

Last Friday (yes, Friday the 13th), I dropped my Glock in the safety area of my range. First time I dropped a gun and it was on a concrete floor to boot (dropped it from about 3ft). It landed on the front and rear sight (of course), leaving a nice dent in both. It also hit the side of the muzzle. No dramatic damage was done, but it wasn’t a pleasant experience.

The weird thing is that I can’t shake the feeling that my gun recoils differently ever since I dropped it. I took the whole thing apart and checked the parts for any damage, but couldn’t find a thing. But if I pull the slide back a little, the part where the barrel starts to unlock seems to be heavier. Also, my powder puff 147grain 9mm loads seem to recoil more than they used to.

Is there any way this could be true, or am I just seeing things that aren’t there?

I not planning on dropping it again, but I figured Glocks should be able to take a little beating. When torture tested it was dropped from 150ft. out of a helicopter, so it should be able to survive 3ft. without any serious damage, right?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Bjorn,

you said your gun hit the ground on the side of the barrell too.

I wonder: is it possible that the barrel got dented/bulged/distorted a bit?

I mean, a little bit more of (unwanted) drag between the barrel and the slide, upon firing, ant you might be experiencing a different recoil; moreover, if this holds true, the whole unlocking delay could have changed, leading to more lock time: the result of this could be more gas pressure -> more recoil.

Try and chrono your known and proven loads to find out if you can report a significative difference between before and after the drop.

How close are you to Amsterdam? :P

It's probably just anxiety. I honestly doubt there's any damage to anything that could create the impact you say you're feeling.

That being said, Luca's got a good idea. You'd really need some sort of quantitatively comparable results from back before the Great Collision of Earth and Glock... power factor is the best bet, if you have the data.

I wonder: is it possible that the barrel got dented/bulged/distorted a bit?

Try and chrono your known and proven loads to find out if you can report a significative difference between before and after the drop.

Good thinking. Will do! Thanks. I also doubt a barrel can be distorted by dropping it only 3ft.

How close are you to Amsterdam? :P

I live in Amsterdam 2 floors above a Coffeeshop, but I don't smoke ;)

Maybe the second hand smoke.... :P

I'd take a close look at the frame rails and especially the locking block - take it out and look at it. Bottom lugs of the barrel too.

If you or a buddy have another Glock to compare it to, I'd look at them side-by-side. Maybe you just pinched a frame rail - if so just put a lot of SlideGlide on it & it will most likely shoot itself free in a short time.