Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Metallic Sight And Going Prone

BigDave

The problem with prone and Met Sight is the height of the sight to the ground..or lack of height. Couple that with the angle needed to hit the targets and it becomes difficult to maintain a suitable position. 50 yards is less of an issue.

I have a problem getting my head down low enough without straining my neck muscles on the met sight gun while keeping my hands in contact with the ground. The straining neck muscles causes me to lose vision more quickly then if it was a comfortable position.

Warren Moore of Stick Shift mover base fame, made a prone pad that I tried on the met sight gun. It helped but it was still more difficult than Open.

In Open class, it's a non-issue considering the prevalence of prone pads and optics which raise the optical center. Back when it was legal, <_< almost everyone used to go prone from 15 yards back. One shooter even did it at 10 on the Practical.

FWIW, I don't think you can go prone on the 25 yrd Plates in Met sight.

Thanks for the perspective, John. I had a feeling that it might end up being more trouble than it is worth.

FWIW, I don't think you can go prone on the 25 yrd Plates in Met sight.

From the NRA Rule Changes <_< web site:

7.9 Falling Plate Event - Competitors must fire the 10,

15, and 20-yard line segments in the standing position.

Competitors may fire the 25-yard segment in the prone

position. This course will be divided into four stages; each

stage will have two strings, 6 shots per string. 48 shots;

targets will be 8" round metal plates:

Dave,

Try a rollover prone. It feels a bit awkward at first, but can become ok. You may not need to really roll over at all, but just turn your body a slight bit. If you imagine your body as a 180 line on a compass, make about a 150 degree angle. I havent shot a lot of Metallic sight, but I have shot a lot of plates with a stock gun. I always went prone at 25 and didnt have much of a problem with it. It is kinda dependant on the person. Some bigger guys have a problem with it. If it doesnt hurt your neck much, and you can reliable get a sight picture, I think it is well worth the change in technique. Keep in mind that you might not have the same amount of each arm on the ground.

From the NRA Rule Changes web site:

Yeah, Yeah....what they say and what they intended are two different things <_< There was a discussion about that after it was written. I recall Rudy saying that prone " was intended for Open class only" and Kevin also stated as such. Rudy said something about a change in the Bianchi match book would reflect the intent of the rule.

I'd hate to practice 25 yrd Plates prone and have them say differently at the 'Cup. You might want to contact Rudy for a clarification.

Dave,

The prone rule change was only for the Open class. It was never specified but you will not have the option to go prone shooting a Metallic gun at Bianchi anywhere except the 50 yard line. That same rule was in effect last year and you didn't see anyone in Metallic going prone at 25.

Kevin

Edited by Action Pistolero

Dave,

The prone rule change was only for the Open class. It was never specified but you will not have the option to go prone shooting a Metallic gun at Bianchi anywhere except the 50 yard line. That same rule was in effect last year and you didn't see anyone in Metallic going prone at 25.

Kevin

That...is...bull$h!t. Whoever came up with that interpretation is complete moron.

How about this for a rule? How about if you can't write rules that clearly state your intent in clear english, it isn't a rule!!! I really don't care if I can go prone or not, but don't hold me accountable because some brain cell who wrote the "rules" can't construct a clear message.

Dave,

Correcto mundo on the bovine excrement! That's one of the many reasons we're dropping NRA sanction on our AP matches this year..........the inmates are running the asylum! We're still running matches, but without all the BS rule changes from the past couple of years, and the NRA doesn't get any money from us either!

But Kevin has it right, the rules only allow prone shooting for a Metallic Sight gun at the 50 yd line on the Practical Event.

Alan~^~

• 2 weeks later...
From the NRA Rule Changes web site:

Yeah, Yeah....what they say and what they intended are two different things <_< There was a discussion about that after it was written. I recall Rudy saying that prone " was intended for Open class only" and Kevin also stated as such. Rudy said something about a change in the Bianchi match book would reflect the intent of the rule.

I'd hate to practice 25 yrd Plates prone and have them say differently at the 'Cup. You might want to contact Rudy for a clarification.

I emailed Rudy with that question since the new rules were posted on the NRA site and he responded that metallic sight could only go prone on the 50 in the practical event, same as last year.