Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help with firing pin freeze

I'm shooting a Lead Star Prime PCC, and I'm using Lead Star bolts.  When I was shooting the factory 16" barrel, I was loading light to keep recoil down.  After 200ish rounds the firing pin channel would clog up and freeze the firing pin.  Removing the pin and cleaning the crud out of the channel was a major task.  It took about an hour.

I switched to my regular minor (130 PF) to keep things cleaner.  Recoil!  I chrono'd and found my minor 130 PF loads were 164 PF out of the 16" barrel.   I bought a 5" sleeved barrel to keep velocity down.  Now my max suggested loads of 124 with AA2 or Sport Pistol shoot the same as in my 5" pistol.  The gun stays remarkable cleaner.  However, I still have the problem with firing pin freeze.  The only difference is it takes twice as many rounds and is much easier to clean.  Only the very front of the channel gets clogged.

What is causing this.  There are no black soot marks on the cases.  The gun stays remarkable clean.  The only thing that cruds up is the firing pin channel.  Exit hole too large?  Firing pin diameter too small?  I tried a Taccom bolt.  I won't work in a Lead Start, at least with the ETS Glock mags I'm using.  Help.

Does it seem like carbon or unburnt powder thats clogging it up? I don't know a ton about PCC bolts but I wonder if maybe the firing pin sits further back in the bolt than it should leaving a gap for the crud to get in thru. Have you measured the firing pin OD and compared it to the ID of the firing pin hole? Maybe theres just enough space around it to let it get clogged that way? Or not enough delay before the bolt moves allowing everything to blow back into the bolt? Just kind of throwing out ideas. Other than either the hole or the pin being out of spec and having too much clearance I don't know what else would cause that much crud getting in there. My bolt stay pretty clean regardless of round count using sport pistol, but its a Faxon bolt. 

I know nothing about the Lead Star. All I can offer if my experience with the loads in my MPX. My gas system ran much cleaner and I was able to cut my cleaning maintenance way down when I went to a much slower powder. I'm currently using BE-86 which is way slower than your Sport Pistol.

Thanks.  I'll give all the suggestions a try.  I did try one slower powder.  No joy.  I also get a new firing pin and spring and see if that helps.  If not, I'll try a different bolt.  The problem is Lead Start did not make the bolt.  There are several out there that look exactly like the Lead Star.  I don't want to try them.  I bought a spare LS bolt.  Same problem.  It just takes a tad longer.