Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm path on G20???

SteelEye

I'd like a bigger heavier Glock.  I'm not a fan of the 40 so I'd like to try the 10mm (I'm beginning to reload).  I'm shooting a G32 with an FAC 9mm barrel.  I like shooting 9 for practice, dicipline and experimenting as it is an economical round.  However, for matches where I need a major pf, I'd like other options besides 40.

I'm reluctant to reload the 357 Sig because of setback issues and I'm very new to reloading so I don't think this is a viable path at this time.

I've been told by some that 9 mags don't fit the G20 frame.  However, with all things Glock, I'm guessing that someone has invented a workaround or otherwise resolved this problem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

SteelEye

SteelEye...welcome to the forum.

1.  What don't you like about the 40?  (I am not attacking your position...I just wonder.)

2.  The rules do not allow you to make Major power factor with any caliber below the 40 (9mm & 357Sig are not allowed).

3.  In the Glock, the 9mm, 40S&W and 357SIG are all built on the small frame.  Glock makes a larger frame gun for the 10mm and 45ACP.  The mags for the two different frame sizes are not interchangable.  

4.  An experienced tinkerer can make a G20 do lots of things...but, that may not be the best path.

Tell us more please.

While it's unclear if this is an economically viable project, Glock mags with .40/10mm sized feed lips will feed a 9mm - barely.  Try getting hold of a 10mm mag and stuffing it with 9's & see what you get.  I've seen a .40 mag feed 9 on accident, so it might just work intentionally.  The trick will be getting the barrel.  It sounds like a very custom job.  

I know you're looking for mass, but consider a G34/35.  You can add some weight with a magwell and have a very shootable gun without major amounts of gunsmithing.

My $.02 - and I'd say you've been overcharged.

E

I'll admit that my bias against the 40 is based entirely on hearsay (kbs, "inaccuracy", case bulges, etc).  I'd like to be convinced that the 40 is a suitable and appropriate round for action pistol.   Ideally, I'm looking for a single gun that would give me an inexpensive practice round, the 9, and a competition round in major pf.  What is the viablity of putting a 9 barrel in a 35?  Would that be a better option then a 9 barrel in a 22?

SteelEye,

It is my opinion that most all Ka-Boom's in glocks can be traced back to shoody ammo....and very poor reloading.  Many, overly cheap, individuals try to push lead bullets to Major power factor in the Glock's.  At the high speed need to make power factor...the lead bullets melt in the polygon rifled Glock barrels (and, also in the barrels of other makes of guns...guns you don't hear as much about because there aren't as many of them out there as Glocks)

This lead builds up in the barrel...doesn't get cleaned out...and causes highier pressures...which result in the bulged and blown cases.

I liken this to putting straight gas into a lawn mower that is designed to be run on a mixture of gas and oil.

Flex,

Can I assume that lead would be alright in an after-market barrel such as BarSto, KKM, FAC, etc?

There are many posts on many forums that describe the Glock factory barrel (.40) as being unsupported in the 6 O'clock position thereby causing case bulge.  Would I be better off getting a different barrel if I intended to reload? Or is this more urban legend?

If you're gonna shoot lead, or if you're gonna load very hot loads to shoot in a Glock, I'd recommend an aftermarket barrel with more/full case support.  I would think that this is especially true in a .40 from what I've read, BUT I'd DEFER to Kyle (Flexmoney) or John (Singlestack) who actually shoot and like .40 caliber Glocks for competition.  They've got way more experience in how to set the gun and load up.  I'm partial to the nines or the .45s.

My take is...if you are planning on shooting lead in 40S&W...don't do it with a Glock barrel.  At least, not at the velocity needed to make Major power factor.

Shooting lead in competition sucks anyway.  

Zero, Montana Gold, West Coast, and Berry's all make bullets that will work well for reloading in the Glock 40.

The most important factor is load development.  This ends up being a question of proper reloading and testing procedure...which likely ought to be asked as another question, in a different thread...and answered by others besides myself.

(Short story...there are many, many competitve shooters that reload for the Glock in 40.)

(Edited by Flexmoney at 11:52 am on June 23, 2002)

What Kyle said. :)

I really liked my factory Glock barrel and only replaced it because I screwed it up with a squib load. I never shot lead through it. I replaced the factory barrel with a Jarvis and I still don't shoot lead.

As far as accuracy and the .40 is concerned, if you ever shoot a properly set up handgun in .40, you will be impressed.

I haven't done any measurements.  But, I would think you would want to go the other way...Buy a 40 gun and a 9mm barrel.

The width of the 9mm breech face may be too narrow to accomadate the 40.  The other way around has been done often.