Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2006 Practical Rifle Team Challenge

Jimmy and Zak, and the rest of the crew, great job again.............

Kelly and I were talking on the way home, and it would have been nice to have an equipment report of what everyone was shooting in the way of carbines and rifles.......if anyone is up to it, I am sure I am not the only one who is curious...

I shot a Rem 40X action, with a 28inch (unknown brand) barrel in .260, with KellyN sweating over the loading of my ammo, with a bitchen Bausch & Lomb 6-24 scope.....the scope was great out to 750 yards...............after that it was hold high and hope for the best! The rifle was in a McMillian A5 stock.

Steve H

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joel got asked several times who built his rifle and got a big kick out of telling them Remington. Remington 700 PSS 308 with my Mark IV, 4.5 X 14 ill. and 175 gr. SMK's. Had plenty of scope. I shot an AR, Cav arms lower mil spec 20" 1 in 7 light contour barrel with a lightened carrier and JP trigger. My scope was an ACOG TAO1NSN with a j point on top which never got uncovered. The Acog was fine except on the really small stuff on the coal creek stage, might go with a 2.5 X 10 IOR next year. This could be a match where you take more than one scope and decide what to use after looking over the stages. Keith

team miller/swonson: my carbine was all COLT, elite HBAR, 24", kurt millers ACOG w/donut, the only thing i didn't care for was on the small targets the donut obscured enough of the target to make holding precisely a little difficult. At 3.5X i never really needed more magnification, just a more precise reticle, of the 5 or 6 small targets, there were 2, that i never hit.

ammo was BH 68gr, MHP i got 1 moa accuracy out to 500yds, gun and ammo accuracy was never a problem.

I think a 1x-5xish type scope would be plenty. I plan on shooting my new 18" benny hill gun next year instead.

Kurt's rifle, was a sleeved 700, in 308, with a leupold mk I 10x, he said that he wished he had finer clicks for elevation than 1moa, the barrel was a Hart(i believe) 28", HS precision? stock converted to use detachable mags.(correct me if i'm wrong Kurt, i was trying to pay attention).

Trapr

All of us at Colorado Multigun want to thank everyone who attended the match. Also, a HUGE thanks to Kurt, Trapr, Dean, Chuck, Michael and Keith for all your help.

Here’s what Mark and I carried around all weekend

Bolt gun; Remington 700 in 6.5-06 Ackly Improved, Leupold 6.5x20 LR M1 scope

Carbine; 18" JP CTR-02 upper on a Bushmaster lower, Nightforce 5.5x22 NSX scope (WAY overkill on the scope, but it’s the only thing I have with an Illuminated Reticle).

Dear Garyo and Mr. Mudd

Every time I pulled the trigger on my rifle it cost around one US dollar if I figure my time at $0.00 per man-hour. To load 250 rounds (starting with 400 fire formed pieces of brass) I spent over 10 hours. By the way I have two 1050’s, one 650 and one 550 press, of course these were all loaded on my garage sale Pacific single stage, I guess this is progress, one step forward and five back, go figure.

Best winches

Mell

Ah, I saw some 6.5-06 Ackleys on the ground! Cool cartridge.

I shot a an AR with a DSA lower, JP trigger and an old school JP upper with a DPMS high rise receiver. The scope was a DSA/IOR 2.5-10X mil dot. I shot Federal Gold Medal match 69 grain Sierras which were absolute tack drivers in that upper (1/2 to 2/3 MOA 5 shot groups). Of course, that upper decided to quit working during the match. :angry:

Since my rifle had a complete meltdown (malfunction every shot and some odd high pressure signs), they let me go to my backup rifle for the last stage (the Mine). My backup was an Accuracy Speaks special: Colt Lower, AS trigger, Douglas 18 in. barrel, AS handguard, AS comp, ACE stock and ACOG TA11. Old faithful rocked and I was able to take out some frustration on all the plates in the mine stage.

My optics biggest failing was no illumination. I should have shot my ACOG or illuminated Leupold 1.5-5X as illumination was an important factor on the carbine night shoot. I had my scope set on 10X for everything except the night shoot when I put it on 6X to get a greater field of view and exit pupil. The adjustments were reliable and accurate. I think the ideal carbine scope for this match would be something in the 2.5-8X, 3-9X, 3.5-10X range with illumination and a BDC out to 500 but an ACOG would certainly suffice.

I loaded Steve's .260 ammo (a spotter's work is never done). He shot 142 gr. Sierra Match Kings in a Remington case, a Winchester Large Rifle primer and RE19 powder. Muzzle velocity was 2825 fps.

As for the sniper rifle scope, I can tell you that 1/8 MOA clicks are NOT the way to go! It's too hard on the spotter's brain. I do know that Voigt won the IRTC with a Leupold TMR reticle. The Horus reticle also has some advantages, if you can stand to look at it. As for power, a 4.5-14X or even a 3.5-10X would suffice. You don't need a 20X or 25X top end but in general more power is good - as long as there is not a bunch of mirage.

Not suprisingly, Remington actions dominated the sniper category - but don't forget Mel's AR10 (which should be banned along with that cheating 5.11 tactical watch).

Team #13

The hip young guy carried some sort of smaller black gun with a cool aimer on top that they cussed at, and a nine in a holster. The very handsome distinguished man carried a pretty black and silver rifle gun and a gat also in a holster with bullets for them. They were laughing and cussed a lot and the very handsome one was not as fast as the groovy young guy. They had a wristwatch with secret codes that they yelled at each other.

As observed by

The shooting gallery

Edited by MKuhn

Mr. Bigbrowndog trapr

I know you’re just kidding, but frankly the lighting wasn’t all that good and you know the camera ads a least 10 pounds.

The best of luck to guys in Greece I know you will make us proud. Give Mike45 a big wet hug for me, not for you, you give him your own.

Longingly

Mell

PS will you be going Greek in Grease