Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CCI Blazer 9mm and wear factors

Deaf Smith

I have been told by others that the aluminum cases used by CCI wear more than brass. Both on the extractor, and underneath the slide. Has anyone here ever experience such problems with CCI Blazer ammo? They say the aluminum cases are 'harder' and thus are much harder on the parts. Rumor?

I say this because at Acadamy Sports and sometimes Oshmans, I get 9mm CCI Blazer ammo for $3.99 a box of 50! Now think about this. The cost of ammo, over time, can be more than the gun. And the difference in price at THAT price, would make it very attractive.

Well...

The cases are "harder" by virtue of anodizing.  The anodizing actually turns a microscopic outer layer of the aluminum into a ceramic.  The question is - will it act as an abrasive?  I seriously doubt it.  Those cases are pretty smooth.  Plus, the base metal is soft, so there is some "give" there.  I'll bet your gun will go tens of thousands of rounds an never know the difference.  The real wear is taking place in the bore and in the throat.

And four bucks a box, who cares?  Everybody freaks out over wearing their gun out.  I hate to burst anybody's bubble, but guns wear out just like cars, clothes, and microwave ovens.  Deal with it.  Be proud of your accomplishment.   Shoot the crap out of it.  Put the bucks you save on ammo in a piggy bank and buy replacement parts or a new gun when the time comes.  It's just not that big a deal.

The best advice I ever got was from an old school gun dealer:  "If you want a pretty gun, cut a picture out of a magazine and frame it.  THAT one is supposed to get used."

E

Oy! Puh-lease! Blazer is US marketed, public-safe (read: low powered and idiot proof) ammo for the masses. It is VERY safe and ideal for both production and practice in a Glock. Thank you CCI, for an excellent product. Your Glock is built to take hundreds of thousands of rounds loaded to CIP (not wimpy SAAMI) specs. You won't wear it out. Hell, I shoot that Danish Norma (VV) surplus 9mm subgun ammo (read HOT) with mild steel jacketed bullets through my G19 all the time - it does not wear the barrel any more than copper jackets.

OK - rant mode off; will have to switch to decaf.

Ok, now the strange part. My Glock 17, being an older one, seems to have alot of wear along the bottom of the slide where the metal presses against the ammo.

That is, the piece of metal that moves the bullet into the chamber. The front part is fine, but the back part slopes as if it was worn. My other glocks have that piece of metal level, no slopeing.

Does your Glocks have any slopeing of the rear portion of the slide that rubs against the bullets in the magazine?

Deaf

If you're talking about what I think you are, my old Glock had a beveled "whatever" rail, but it was pretty obviously machine-cut like that.

What is the slide-part that strips rounds off the mag and shoves them up the feedramp called??

(Edited by shred at 1:49 pm on June 21, 2002)

Vince, from what I've heard, you should already have some "familiarity" with both of those terms.. (although maybe not in this context)

(Edited by shred at 4:39 pm on June 24, 2002)

OK guys, Glock HQ has advised that the official name for the angled piece of metal under the slide which pushes the next round into the barrel is called the "feeding ramp".

Yes, yes, I know. We usually use that name (or at least "feed" ramp) to describe the part of the barrel closest to the magazine, but don't shoot me, I'm only the messenger.