Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What are you running for RFPI

lawboy

image0(20).jpeg.c26948bd436ada5d8a814756a91b3290.jpeg

I am running a Buckmark Lite for RFPI.  It has minor modifications -- TK trigger and gearbox sear spring.  Otherwise it is stock.  I am very happy with it.  I am going to setup a top strap with the Williams ghost ring sight to try out.  

My one significant gripe about the Buckmark URX grip frame is that there are very few aftermarket grip options for it, and none are an improvement over the OEM rubber finger groove grip that encompasses the front strap.  The finger grooves are not a perfect fit for my sausage fingers, and the grip/frame are too short for my hands.  But I am working on a solution to the grips.  

What are other folks running for RFPI?

Edited by lawboy
added pic

I only played with rfpi a few matches. But I was running a Ruger mk4 heavy barrel as the lite is way to light for me. Volqs trigger, tk thumb rest and that was basically it. I think the hot setup is a 6" volqs upper with the mentioned lower items. Look up what Adam Renno is running. 

24 minutes ago, Squirrel45 said:

I only played with rfpi a few matches. But I was running a Ruger mk4 heavy barrel as the lite is way to light for me. Volqs trigger, tk thumb rest and that was basically it. I think the hot setup is a 6" volqs upper with the mentioned lower items. Look up what Adam Renno is running. 

I ran my Ruger 22/45 Mk III for a brief time, but the Rugers seem top heavy and front heavy to me.  My friend runs three Volquartsens in RFPI/RFPO and they are very nice.  But but the Buckmarks are cheaper and I like the ability to swap the barrels easily without needing to buy a barreled receiver.  

Your comment about the Lite version being too lightweight is interesting as I am about to start experimenting with heavier barrels on my Buckmarks to see how that impacts my times.  When yiou say the Ruger lite was too lightweight, what problem was that causing? over running targets, difficulty steadying sights on target, something totally different?  I want to know what I should be trying to pay attention to when I compare the heavier setups to what I have been running. 

It's a totally personal thing when it comes to weight. I'm used to running heavy guns as Rimfire is not really a priority of mine. Most of the time I'm running a 42oz  plus revolver so a gun coming in at sub 25oz is a feather. Even my rfpo which I do run a 6" volqs has added weight. Again it's trial n error. 

Just started shooting RFPI. Mostly shooting with optics in Steel challenge. 

I am using an STI 1911 .22lr conversion kit(Advantage Arms)  on a 5in. Prodigy frame with an old Infinity polymer grip, Nelson double stack magazines.

So far it has been reliable for me, 1k rounds. 

Hammerli X-Esse IPSC. RFPI/RFPO. Never had problem ever since I got it. Around 3k-4k rounds. 

MarkS

Edited by Stmark73

8 hours ago, Stmark73 said:

Just started shooting RFPI. Mostly shooting with optics in Steel challenge. 

I am using an STI 1911 .22lr conversion kit(Advantage Arms)  on a 5in. Prodigy frame with an old Infinity polymer grip, Nelson double stack magazines.

So far it has been reliable for me, 1k rounds. 

Hammerli X-Esse IPSC. RFPI/RFPO. Never had problem ever since I got it. Around 3k-4k rounds. 

MarkS

I enjoy your success with the 2011-22.  I tried several custom builds using Marvel and Nelson uppers.  They ran great ... but not for an entire match.  They were just to sensitive to getting dirty.  Accurate as all hell though.  I will undoubtedly try the 2011-22 route again.  

The problem I encountered at first was feeding issues, mag related.

After sorting the feeding issue, it would intermittently not go to full battery.Found out it was my grip, my thumb was riding the slide, slowing it down. Blaming my CZ’s for that.

Plus I run the gun wet and clean it before every match

MarkS

I run a Ruger MKIV with a Volquartsen 2.75pound  trigger and their grips. I installed Tru-Glo FO aftermarket sights They are bigger and bolder than the Ruger Factory sights. I use Ruger factory mags. I'm only A Class, but my Distinquished Senior body doesn't swivel quite as well as it used to. I do make certain to lube the bolt with light oil. I also use standard velocity ammo, Lapua Center X and CCI Green Tag have been the best by far. I've tried others. Aguila sucks, and SK loads are erratic.  

1 hour ago, GOF said:

I run a Ruger MKIV with a Volquartsen 2.75pound  trigger and their grips. I installed Tru-Glo FO aftermarket sights They are bigger and bolder than the Ruger Factory sights. I use Ruger factory mags. I'm only A Class, but my Distinquished Senior body doesn't swivel quite as well as it used to. I do make certain to lube the bolt with light oil. I also use standard velocity ammo, Lapua Center X and CCI Green Tag have been the best by far. I've tried others. Aguila sucks, and SK loads are erratic.  

sounds like a quality setup.  I run Federal Suppressor Subsonic 45gr in my RFPI mostly.  I like the lower recoil impulse in the iron sight gun.  I run Mini Mags in my RFPO with a compensator. 

26 minutes ago, lawboy said:

I run Federal Suppressor Subsonic 45gr in my RFPI mostly.

I'd be concerned about the shot timer pickup that up.  Especially since I haven't found a compensator to be be of any use with rimfire ammo.

I haven't had any issues with the shot timers at the clubs where I shoot and I run the RFPI with no compensator.  But I hear you, it could easily be an issue someplace else.  I always have enough Mini Mags with me to shoot both guns if needed for that very reason. 

The longer sight radius is really critical for SCSA with irons. On the 6" Mamba, if your front sight is in the rear slot, it will hit the plate within about a 4" group worst case case alignment. This means your bullet will land a maximum of 2" from where your fiber is on the target. Therefore, you don't need to verify perfect alignment for every shot. As long as you see the front fiber in the rear sight slot, it's an acceptable sight picture. A 4.5" barrel like the ruger mkiv is not acceptable because the sight radius is too long and the groups open up too much for this strategy to be effective. A 4.5" requires you to verify the front sight is actually centered in the rear sight slot which takes significantly more time and provides less consistent results than a 6". 

To make this kind of shooting even easier, longer fiber will make the front sight red dot bright even in the shade. I melted one end and taped the other. You can also slowly mold fiber rod in boiling water if you're careful.

I think a thumbrest and magwell also make a big difference in RFPI to ensure a consistent grip and maintain alignment. Once you get the gun aligned for the first shot, you don't want the gun to lose alignment in your hands while you transition the gun. The thumbrest helps you grip against the reciever horizontally, and downward on the frame. The magwell pushes your hand up into the trigger guard and beavertail more which also prevents twist. I'm using Texas Pride CNC checkered grips/magwell, you can message them on Facebook to get them, but I also think that Steve Foster's Tempest grips are a great option. I prefer the Texas Pride CNCs though because they have more aggressive texturing.

Screenshot_20240820_102952.jpg

Screenshot_20240820_103048.jpg

Screenshot_20240820_103125.jpg

11 hours ago, Renno said:

The longer sight radius is really critical for SCSA with irons. On the 6" Mamba, if your front sight is in the rear slot, it will hit the plate within about a 4" group worst case case alignment. This means your bullet will land a maximum of 2" from where your fiber is on the target. Therefore, you don't need to verify perfect alignment for every shot. As long as you see the front fiber in the rear sight slot, it's an acceptable sight picture. A 4.5" barrel like the ruger mkiv is not acceptable because the sight radius is too long and the groups open up too much for this strategy to be effective. A 4.5" requires you to verify the front sight is actually centered in the rear sight slot which takes significantly more time and provides less consistent results than a 6". 

To make this kind of shooting even easier, longer fiber will make the front sight red dot bright even in the shade. I melted one end and taped the other. You can also slowly mold fiber rod in boiling water if you're careful.

I think a thumbrest and magwell also make a big difference in RFPI to ensure a consistent grip and maintain alignment. Once you get the gun aligned for the first shot, you don't want the gun to lose alignment in your hands while you transition the gun. The thumbrest helps you grip against the reciever horizontally, and downward on the frame. The magwell pushes your hand up into the trigger guard and beavertail more which also prevents twist. I'm using Texas Pride CNC checkered grips/magwell, you can message them on Facebook to get them, but I also think that Steve Foster's Tempest grips are a great option. I prefer the Texas Pride CNCs though because they have more aggressive texturing.

Screenshot_20240820_102952.jpg

Screenshot_20240820_103048.jpg

Screenshot_20240820_103125.jpg

Renno, thanks for chiming in with your wisdom and experience.  Browning offered a Buckmark Lite with 7.25-inch aluminum barrel.  I am trying to source a barrel to try.  I have a line on one and if it comes through, I will be thrilled.  If not I know where there are several of the complete pistols for sale new ... 

I have setup a top strap with the Williams Firesight ghost ring rear sight.  I have not had a chance to train with it yet, but this weekend I have reserved a bay for practice.  On the magwell, I completely agree.  The OEM rubber grips are good, but the finger grooves annoy me, and my hands extend down below the grip.  I am working with a manufacturer now to develop a longer grip with integrated magwell for the URX grip frame.  I saw an early prototype this week and it is coming along.  I am hoping to have a set to test out by the end of the month.