Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Draw Question -- Lifting Gun From Holster?

boo radley

As I'm practicing drawing a Glock from a CR-Speed holster (I don't think the gun-type matters), I am noticing two "feelings" when I draw, assuming relaxed-hands-at-sides.

The first, I am conscious of a feeling of grip, with the fingers of my strong hand, as I lift the gun from the holster. It's almost two stages, although most of the grip happens as the gun is coming up from the holster.

The second: it's like a ripping motion -- the gun is lifted out of the holster on my second and third finger, in a single movement, and carried upwards, and I'm not conscious of anything like a secure feeling on the gun, until the weak hand joins my strong hand.

Is this making any sense? :( The second way feels extremely fast and clean, since I come straight up with zero pause, but I haven't tried it in a match for fear that if I don't lift it *perfectly* out of the holster, it will go tumbling...<shudder>

Do y'all sort of rip it out of the holster, on the lift, or are you more conservative?

Method two is what I use (on a modified 012) it is more of a "snatch" that a typical drawstroke and yes it is faster than coming onto the grip with one motion then releasing from the holster. I have yet to "toss" one and too much tension is where it starts to get sloppy for me.

Practice this slowly at first to build memory and it helps if the position (cant, offset, grip angle) is just above where your hands rest natually at your sides so that you can come straight to the grip and not have to turn your wrist or forearm just bend you elbow and "wham" the "snatch" (positioning helps to aviod the "toss")

#2 sounds like the scoop. If so, I would recommend against it for safety reasons and the fact that it is very hard to get a consistent grip on the gun. The reason it feels so much faster is because everthing is being done in one motion, but if you time each draw, there is no advantage (speed wise) from using the scoop or the snatch.

I am personally a big fan of how Matt Burkett suggests you getting your strong hand on the gun. Very consistent and safe...and no slower than the scoop.

it is very hard to get a consistent grip on the gun.

Not really hard at all if done correctly. You can do it in slow mo also, once again if done correctly and it is extremely solid, repeatable and safe. I wouldn't claim any draw is really faster than another, because I can draw 3 ways that are all about the same, the same thing applies to reloads. Somethings just work better for different folks.

My experience is that a consistent, solid grip will produce a better result overall on a run (accuracy AND speed) than a poor one. If one style of draw produces a better a grip at a modest expense of time, I go with it. If you can get a good grip with a "scoop" or whatever, more power to you. I would never sacrifice quality of grip to save a tenth or two of time.

you might try hitting the web of your hand into the grip and pinching the sides of the grip as you lift it free ... the pinching keeps your trigger finger off the trigger and the wedging of the web of your hand indexes you correctly for every draw ... it seems like your doing the opposite of what you should as you are actually pushing the gun into the holster before you pop it out ... IT WORKS EVEN BETTER FROM SURRENDER.

Dose any of that make sense? You might try some skateboard tape for your grip if you haven't already.

Best of luck ...

Si

from hands at sides you do have to come up above the grip a little ... but it seems to be faster in that you have a great grip the moment you start moving the gun.

#2 sounds like the scoop. If so, I would recommend against it for safety reasons and the fact that it is very hard to get a consistent grip on the gun. The reason it feels so much faster is because everthing is being done in one motion, but if you time each draw, there is no advantage (speed wise) from using the scoop or the snatch.

I am personally a big fan of how Matt Burkett suggests you getting your strong hand on the gun. Very consistent and safe...and no slower than the scoop.

+1

I knocked a hole in a hotel wall when my pistol hung on a Arredondo muzzel platform button on a 011. I never scooped again.

What makes the #2 way not feel secure?

I guess my draw is somewhere in between a snatch and a scoop. I lift the gun out of the holster with my three gripping fingers, but the gun doesn't clear the holster before my thumb is at least at the back of the slide to prevent the gun from canting forward.

+1 on MattB's technique. You'll also see some guy named Jarrett doing that as well.

As far as 'bad grips' - had my share of those, mostly on classifiers/speed shoots & almost all of them involved the support hand being 'stuck' on the wrong part of the gun. The strong hand was rarely a problem for me.

A person with smaller hands may have less margin for error on the S.H. grip.

The reason I don't like the scoop is because in the traditional method of it, you don't actually have a grip on your gun until you are about halfway out to the firing position. If it gets hung up on something (like a holster like John described), expect to see the fire stick flying through the air.

second way feels extremely fast and clean, since I come straight up with zero pause, but I haven't tried it in a match for fear that if I don't lift it *perfectly* out of the holster, it will go tumbling...<shudder>

First off...you gotta get away from what "feels" fast. Get on the timer and find out for sure.

If one way is faster than another, chances are you aren't doing one as well as the other (skill/technique needs work).

Next, we need to define how we come onto the gun. I can think of three basic ways...off the top of my head:

1. Come down on the gun and into the back-strap.

2. Come up on the gun and into the front strap (scoop).

3. Come in on the side of the gun. (This has become popular from the Burkett vids. I have no problem calling it the "Burkett Method". That is where I got it. Once I started doing it, the term "leather slap" popped into my head.)

Try a search with the terms...scoop...scoop draw...popping (the gun out of the holster)...etc. There are some good words out there.