Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trying to get weight off the front of my rifle

So I'm new to pcc (not to shooting or uspsa) what's the best way to get weight off the front of rifle I have a brand new jp-5 

1. Brekke comp 6in pin weld to 10.5 with hand guard

2. Jp5 shroud barrel 

3. SBR the rifle to 8in with jp5 3port comp 

Personally, I'd get something like a Silencerco mount so you can use a suppressor when not shooting matches.  And for barrels, there are lots of quality options aside from JP.  Noveske, Faxon, etc.  

7 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

Personally, I'd get something like a Silencerco mount so you can use a suppressor when not shooting matches.  And for barrels, there are lots of quality options aside from JP.  Noveske, Faxon, etc.  

Thank you I'm sure it's a high opinion Question, but what is the best barrel for the JP5 rifle shooting from 50 to 10 yd? That would be about my max, and i'm shooting blazer 124gr an similar factory loads

If you're using aluminium case Blazer ammo, I'm not sure.  Seems some 9mm AR barrels have problems with those.  If it's standard brass case ammo, I'd go with Faxon.  They have a 9mm light taper AR barrel with no gas port, black nitride finish and threaded muzzle for $135.  It's an awesome setup for PCC.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

If you're using aluminium case Blazer ammo, I'm not sure.  Seems some 9mm AR barrels have problems with those.  If it's standard brass case ammo, I'd go with Faxon.  They have a 9mm light taper AR barrel with no gas port, black nitride finish and threaded muzzle for $135.  It's an awesome setup for PCC.

I dont trust aluminum cased stuff bad experience

Ok perfect an that will fit the jp-5

Edited by 0ntheway

Al cased ammo works in my PCC, but not in others.  It is an ejection issue.  Do not use Blaser Brass if you intend on using a comp.  The plating is so thin it gets flame cut and leads up your comp.  The Blaser Al cased ammo has a much thicker plating and is good for comps.

On 7/21/2024 at 8:32 PM, 0ntheway said:

So I'm new to pcc (not to shooting or uspsa) what's the best way to get weight off the front of rifle I have a brand new jp-5 

1. Brekke comp 6in pin weld to 10.5 with hand guard

2. Jp5 shroud barrel 

3. SBR the rifle to 8in with jp5 3port comp 

Call JP and chat with them. I STRONGLY suggest you discuss options directly with them. 

That out of the way up front, the shrouded barrel will be the easiest.

Chopping the barrel and SBR'ing the rifle is pretty straightforward but annoying to travel out of state with relatively simple (for the government) paperwork. I personally don't really like how SBR's balance but I'm also large and Gumby shaped. 

5 hours ago, Darqusoull13 said:

Call JP and chat with them. I STRONGLY suggest you discuss options directly with them. 

That out of the way up front, the shrouded barrel will be the easiest.

Chopping the barrel and SBR'ing the rifle is pretty straightforward but annoying to travel out of state with relatively simple (for the government) paperwork. I personally don't really like how SBR's balance but I'm also large and Gumby shaped. 

When I spoke to ben at j.P He told me the barrel mounting system for that specific gun is proprietary. Something about it being air gapped. I would have to send in my upper and have a secondary barrel fitted to it. Then I could change them out, but only with a gap gauge to double check that it's perfect fit. Fortunately, I am not that big of an out-of-state guy, maybe a little later on when I get a little better than b class I will try my luck at something. A little more official than local matches

Still trying to find somebody local that I can shoot a shrouded barrel........newkent virginia 

Major brain fart on my part.  Totally glossed over the fact that this is for a JP5 and not GMR15.  Very sorry about that.  But I would still go with the 10.5" barrel.  If you can't find one, I'd get a spare from JP and have someone cut and thread it while you wait for the tax stamp. 

2 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

Major brain fart on my part.  Totally glossed over the fact that this is for a JP5 and not GMR15.  Very sorry about that.  But I would still go with the 10.5" barrel.  If you can't find one, I'd get a spare from JP and have someone cut and thread it while you wait for the tax stamp. 

No worries I figured as much.. I'm gona try to shoot someone's shrouded barrel an see if I like that an just use my 14.5 for 2gun I really like the idea of getting a complete upper in 11in 

If you have a JP5, future proof it for out of state in my opinion. Lightweight barrel does that

would be annoying to have to submit to the ATF every match you want to go to and wait for approval

19 minutes ago, 42ATK said:

If you have a JP5, future proof it for out of state in my opinion. Lightweight barrel does that

would be annoying to have to submit to the ATF every match you want to go to and wait for approval

Thanks man. Yeah, I went to a two gun match today and got to shoot a shrouded barrel. that's definitely the way to go Does anybody know what the lead time is to get an extra barrel for the j p five

On 7/27/2024 at 12:27 PM, 0ntheway said:

Thanks man. Yeah, I went to a two gun match today and got to shoot a shrouded barrel. that's definitely the way to go Does anybody know what the lead time is to get an extra barrel for the j p five

Here's the link to the Ultralight Upper Ready Rifle. They're saying 8-10 weeks on the site but call for specific availability.