Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder Measure Problems

First off...I am using the powder measure "retrograde". I have 2 springs and the bell crank arm that are returning the charge bar after dropping powder. I found lots of feed back on how much smoother the press runs after the retrograde, but no long term information. I've had the charge drop change by .2-.3 on a couple of different loads. One load went minor and the other went close. Before the season starts again I'd like to get this nailed down. I'm loading for 9-Major right now so a couple of tenths changes the power factor enough that it bothers me. The springs look like they make the retaining plug wiggle around which changes the powder charge a little.

I’ve been thinking about using some red loctite on the retaining plug to get it to stop moving. Any other ideas?? I’m not opposed to taking off the springs and using the bell crank arm as it’s supposed to be used if that’s the only way to get it to stay accurate. I’d prefer to keep the springs because the press is real smooth.

Thanks!

post-2880-1136769639_thumb.jpg

First,

What powder are you using, and how many grains are you dropping? Be sure the hopper starts off at least 2/3 full, refill before exposing the top of the baffle. Be sure

the powder bar goes all the way over well before the handle bottoms out. Cases should be flared at least .010" larger than a sized, unflared case to ensure the powder bar is being fully actuated. :ph34r:

Just the man I was hoping to hear from!!! :)

What powder are you using, and how many grains are you dropping?

8.9g of HS-6

Be sure the hopper starts off at least 2/3 full, refill before exposing the top of the baffle

I fill it when I sit down to reload and fill it again before it reaches about 1 inch above the baffel. I'll check the other two things tonight.

I just got home. The powder bar has completed its travel and the handle still has about 1 inch of travel left until the bottom of the stroke. The flaring of the case is suspect. <_< A sized 9mm case is .373" and after it goes through the powder die it measures .374. I recall having problems with too much flare when I set up the 9mm dies. I'm also trying to use as much case tension to hold the round instead of crimp as possible. I'm also trying to load 9mm with 115's out to 1.175" oal. There isn't a lot of case to hold onto the bullet.

Thanks again Dillon

Edited by .40AET

Try turning the powder die down in 1/8 turn increments until the case mouth is flared a bit more. Also, check the lock nut that holds the bellcrank onto the measure. If too loose, this allows the bellcrank cube to slip out, which also affects accuracy of powder charges.

Refer to a recent post under 45ACP reloading for a longer explanation of items to check. :ph34r:

Thanks again for the help. I stripped the entire powder measure down just to make sure that there wasn't anything inside of the powder bar. The lock nut that holds the bellcrank onto the measure was a little loose so I tightened it up when I reassembled everything. I put some loktite on the retaining plug as well. It seems to be holding the desired charge weight better now. Time will tell the real story there. Oh yeah, I also turned the powder die down a bit to increase the flare.

Thanks again.

Edited by .40AET

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks again for the help. I stripped the entire powder measure down just to make sure that there wasn't anything inside of the powder bar. The lock nut that holds the bellcrank onto the measure was a little loose so I tightened it up when I reassembled everything. I put some loktite on the retaining plug as well. It seems to be holding the desired charge weight better now. Time will tell the real story there. Oh yeah, I also turned the powder die down a bit to increase the flare.

Thanks again.

I was having difficulty with my new (used) SDB in .45 trying to throw a consistant 4gr of Clays. I was dropping -.2-.3gr low as well every 6 shells and and loading the target 4gr

for 6 shells.

I followed two items on the Dillon FAQ that then got me to a consistant +/- .1gr:

I completely disassembled the poweder measure and cleaned the poweder pathway completely with isopropyol alcohol and cleaned the charge bar, and insert as well as the shaft. I got a lot of residue off that you can't normally see.

I also backed off on the belling of the case by 3 full turns from the way it was set.

I don't know which of the above actually helped, but after 200rnds, I sampled about 50 and they were all +/- .1gr after that.

Edited by hmp32

Just wondering the following:

The powder measure on my SDB wobbles... big time, very unlike my 550 which sits completely tight. Is it supposed to be that way (you can easily twist it around also), and would that affect consistency in a positive or in a negative way?