Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FAL mags

Most 30 round FAL mags are repurposed BREN mags, with some modified at the catch tab to work in metric guns. The problem is of course that the BREN feeds upside down from the top, not up from the bottom like a FAL. Most of the ones I’ve owned or seen used a leaf spring to work the follower, that if worn wouldn’t keep up with my FAL or any other. If you can find replacement coil springs, or mags that come with coil springs, then you won’t have issues. Otherwise, best of luck to you. Personally, I just stick to the goodness of 20 rounders.

1 hour ago, JWBaldree said:

Most 30 round FAL mags are repurposed BREN mags, with some modified at the catch tab to work in metric guns. The problem is of course that the BREN feeds upside down from the top, not up from the bottom like a FAL. Most of the ones I’ve owned or seen used a leaf spring to work the follower, that if worn wouldn’t keep up with my FAL or any other. If you can find replacement coil springs, or mags that come with coil springs, then you won’t have issues. Otherwise, best of luck to you. Personally, I just stick to the goodness of 20 rounders.

Thank you for the reply. I don’t mind paying for magazines that work but hate to pay for something that doesn’t. 

The ones I have are the style described above that are converted bren mags.  Of the 5 I have 1 works.  That one I took apart and polished the heck out of the inside and use graphite with it. It does work but it would be better with a coil spring, but best I know no one makes one.

If I was still shooting in it competition I world probably take 2 of the 20 round springs and cut them butt the cut together and take a piece of thin steel tube and slip it over. Then while the ends of the spring pieces are butted together smash the tube in a vice or with a hammer.

20 hours ago, caspian guy said:

The ones I have are the style described above that are converted bren mags.  Of the 5 I have 1 works.  That one I took apart and polished the heck out of the inside and use graphite with it. It does work but it would be better with a coil spring, but best I know no one makes one.

If I was still shooting in it competition I world probably take 2 of the 20 round springs and cut them butt the cut together and take a piece of thin steel tube and slip it over. Then while the ends of the spring pieces are butted together smash the tube in a vice or with a hammer.

Thanks Peter! 
I was looking at the ones on DSA’s website thinking that they may have them worked out. I’m new to the FAL, I’ve shot a couple but never owned one. That may be about to change though. 

I miss the days of shooting with you and the crew in Birmingham, those were some fun rifle matches!

On 7/1/2024 at 5:45 PM, HRider said:

Thanks Peter! 
I was looking at the ones on DSA’s website thinking that they may have them worked out. I’m new to the FAL, I’ve shot a couple but never owned one. That may be about to change though. 

I miss the days of shooting with you and the crew in Birmingham, those were some fun rifle matches!

The ones I have came from them (back in the day) ... If you get one and find it works better (more modern) I'd love to know.

On 7/1/2024 at 5:45 PM, HRider said:

Thanks Peter! 

BTW most 5th Saturdays there is still a 2 gun match (not the size of back in the day) but if you happen to be up here 😁

18 hours ago, caspian guy said:

The ones I have came from them (back in the day) ... If you get one and find it works better (more modern) I'd love to know.

Well, I won an auction for a FAL and went to order some magazines that were in stock earlier in the week. They are all out of stock on DSA’s website so your range report will have to wait.