Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3N37 loads

Looking at picking up an open gun. I’ve landing on starting with 3N37 under a 124 gr bullets. No poppel holes. What is a good starting load? What is everyone’s load if you are running. I’d be looking to to make major pf. 

Edited by Cltpewpew
Grammar

6 hours ago, perttime said:

9mm or 38 Super (Comp)?

Bullet construction matters. Do you have a bullet picked already?

COL matters. What gun is it?

9mm. Brass monkey bullet 124 rn

Do you shoot USPSA (PF165) or IPSC (PF160)?

Barrel length, type of case (brass/nickel), primers and COAL have an important impact.

I use Armscor 9mm brass, 7,4 gr of VV 3N37, Limit RN 124 gr FMJ at OAL 29,50 mm and crimp at 9,57mm, which gets me a PF of 164 in my HPS Open Master and 168 in my BA Bullesteros (longer barrel).

1 hour ago, StefVanHauwe said:

Barrel length, type of case (brass/nickel), primers and COAL have an important impact.

I use Armscor 9mm brass, 7,4 gr of VV 3N37, Limit RN 124 gr FMJ at OAL 29,50 mm and crimp at 9,57mm, which gets me a PF of 164 in my HPS Open Master and 168 in my BA Bullesteros (longer barrel).

I don’t have coal set. Mixed brass. Servicious y aventura primer. Bul armory sas II

1 hour ago, perttime said:

If it works in HPS Open Master and Bul Bullesteros, it should be pretty close in a SAS 2.

Highly recommend FMJ bullets for a comped pistol.

I actually also have a SAS 2 Ultimate Racer 😉 The same load data gets me a PF of 162.

7 hours ago, perttime said:

Highly recommend FMJ bullets for a comped pistol.

Not me.  They will lead up the comp pronto.  Use only heavy plated or JHPs.  Montana Gold does make a FMJ with a copper cap covering the rear.  That works, but using JHPs is simpler.

On 6/24/2024 at 10:02 AM, StefVanHauwe said:

I actually also have a SAS 2 Ultimate Racer 😉 The same load data gets me a PF of 162.

Thanks. I’m going to start with 7.4 3n37 at 1.16 and test out tomorrow after I pick up the pistol. I want to find the bottom of major pf and then work up spicier loads to see where the gun functions the best. 

On 6/24/2024 at 3:12 AM, StefVanHauwe said:

What primer do you use? Picked up gun today and shot some test loads. Only few went bang. Primer has impact so I’m guessing light primer strikes. I used servicous y aventuras. 

1 hour ago, Cltpewpew said:

What primer do you use? Picked up gun today and shot some test loads. Only few went bang. Primer has impact so I’m guessing light primer strikes. I used servicous y aventuras. 

I use Fiocchi Small Pistol Primers

What is your barrel lenght?

Also make would help...

3N37 is not so good,if you can get 3N38 its better.

124gr PPU FMJ with 7.6gr with OAL 29.5mm from Bul Bullesteros 5.7" barrel yields PF ~168-170.

Fiocchi Small Pistol primer user here also.

Check your OAL if you have misfires.

Shorter OAL in my guns tend to do that.

I hope I helped you somewhat.