Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Installed new brass LOK grips and magwell on my Shadow 2 -and now magazines won't seat

BlueRidgeReef

I'm sure this is nothing that couldn't be solved with a carefully used dremel and some time, but I can't see where the issue is actually occurring. It doesn't seem that the magwell itself is stopping them from inserting, as it happens with and without mags with basepads. I've just put the stock grips back on for now, and am questioning how much the weight addition and magwell were going to help in the first place; but if there's an easy fix, I'd like to try it. Thanks for any suggestions.

Not sure if it’s an easy fix but Henning sells specific mag extensions for use with magwells. Other than that unless you have a video showing the mags not seating it may be hard to figure out what is going on.

I believe it is the magwell because I haven't found a magwell that you don't need to change the mag basepad. If you think it's not the magwell pull the grips off and with no grips insert a mag and see if it works. If not it's the magwell if the mag goes in and seats the grips are the problem.

Most magwells will stop a magazine from fully inserting, if that mag usually stops on the frame when there is no magwell present.

Springer and Henning make basepads that are cut at an angle to pair with their respective magwells.

You can also use longer tube magazines, with shorter basepads. Such as an MBX 140mm mag or an 18rd SP-01 tube with a shorter then stock basepad. I have some CZC extensions that work well. You can also file on stock SP-01 basepads to make them work. 

The 17rd mec-gar mags, with normal basepads, usually don't fit a magwell.

Edited by Haywizzle

18 hours ago, Haywizzle said:

Most magwells will stop a magazine from fully inserting, if that mag usually stops on the frame when there is no magwell present.

Springer and Henning make basepads that are cut at an angle to pair with their respective magwells.

You can also use longer tube magazines, with shorter basepads. Such as an MBX 140mm mag or an 18rd SP-01 tube with a shorter then stock basepad. I have some CZC extensions that work well. You can also file on stock SP-01 basepads to make them work. 

The 17rd mec-gar mags, with normal basepads, usually don't fit a magwell.

I have some 23 round mags after adding a basepad, and these won't go either. I'll mess with them tonight with and without the magwell on and see if I can't figure out where the problem lies. Appreciate everyone's thoughts so far.

I had a Springer magwell for my Shadow 2 that I messed around with for a short period of time. Required me to remove some material on the rear on the magwell to fit my TTI extensions.

I agree with the other folk in here that it's uncommon for magazines to seat with most Shadow 2 magwell options. Might be easy to just use a sharpie to mark the magwell and then slam magazines in to see where the sharpie is wearing. It will show you where you need to remove material.

4 hours ago, BlueRidgeReef said:

I have some 23 round mags after adding a basepad, and these won't go either. I'll mess with them tonight with and without the magwell on and see if I can't figure out where the problem lies. Appreciate everyone's thoughts so far.

What tubes were they to begin with though? If they were flush fit, then the extensions are still hitting the magwell. That's why I mentioned using longer tubes, you need a gap between the magwell and the basepad.

9 minutes ago, BlueRidgeReef said:

Ah, gotcha. I'm not at home to check them, but they're probably Mec-Gar and flush-fit.

From the LOK page for the magwell: 

Screenshot_20240618_160816_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a3dd7056951b14d7cce5aa193e35dafb.jpg

You might want to ask them what extended basepads work since they don't list the brand names. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Redhemi said:

I have these CZ 75 Base Pad Flush Fitting SILVER (Required for CZC Magwell) (czcustom.com) on some of my Mecgar mags and they seat fine in the three different magwells I'm using right now. I just wish they came in different colors.

Appreciate the link. Gosh, I must have around 20 mags between my CZs and I always appreciated that they were interchangeable. The grips and magwell weren't cheap, but I have to suspect that getting new base pads for them all will be more than those even ran me! Talk about wishing I'd read the fine print. And looking closer, these only fit the factory magazines, and not Mec-Gar, which are most of what I own. May just put the magwell and grips in the classifieds.

Edited by BlueRidgeReef

32 minutes ago, BlueRidgeReef said:

Appreciate the link. Gosh, I must have around 20 mags between my CZs and I always appreciated that they were interchangeable. The grips and magwell weren't cheap, but I have to suspect that getting new base pads for them all will be more than those even ran me! Talk about wishing I'd read the fine print. And looking closer, these only fit the factory magazines, and not Mec-Gar, which are most of what I own. May just put the magwell and grips in the classifieds.

I don't know why they say they won't fit the Mecgar mags I have them on the blue 10 round mags and have had no problems. One thing I will say is if you get them make sure the locking plate has the round part for the hole in the basepad. you can start off with one to see if it works if not let me know and I'll buy it from you.

I'm using TeamAC extended basespads with Lok aluminum magwell and 17 round mecgars mags with no issues. I'm only able to get 24 rounds not 25.

I had to Dremel the basespads quite a bit on CZ 18 round basespads to seat with the Magwell. 

Never tried to seat a stock 17 Mecgar mag with the magwell on. 

On 6/22/2024 at 10:15 AM, BlueRidgeReef said:

Where did you remove material? That would be the perfect solution. And really, LOK should do this from the factory.

Just beveled the round part of the baseplate. I figured new baseplates are only 3$ each so not much to lose.