Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

To Load 9x19 Or Not.....

DougCarden

Let me preface this by saying that I shoot WWB and Blazer from time to time, good stuff and nothing wrong with it. I get Blazer free at the State Academy and shoot as much of it as I have time to... ;)

I have learned from competing that I need to be an accuracy freak. That is why I reload 9x19 for competition. I have never shot anything close to these groups with Blazer or WWB in my match barreled 1911s. FWIW these groups are from my old duty Beretta with Idontknowhowmany rounds through it.

I would also say for my use Precision Delta bullets are as good as Zero in my guns. :D

(and no, I didnt call ALL the flyers... :wacko: ). There is nothing wrong with factory 9x19, but I want something a little better when I compete. Hopefully this can put things in perspective for new shooters/reloaders on why a lot of us reload. Hope some find this useful,

DougC

post-580-1136564205_thumb.jpg

Doug, it's hard to tell from the picture but what do those groups measure from center to center? What did you get with the Blazers for group size out of the same gun?

I've been playing with some Zero 147 JHP and Vihta Vuori N320. I'm shooting 5 shot groups and not 6 shot groups but the Blazers or my load of 3.3 grs of Viht will go into 1.5" for 5 rounds at 50'. The groups that I am speaking of are off of sandbags and that is me shooting them so they might do better with a better group shooter, but I find 1.5" at 50' more than acceptable for my shooting skill.

My handloads aren't shooting any more accurately than the Blazers though my G34 but the recoil is substaintially less than the 140 PF that the Blazers make in my G34.

Rick

Hi Rick. The target on the left has 4 shots in one hole, and the target on the right has 3 in one hole. I pretty much called the flyers :lol: . I didnt bother to mike the group size, since I was trying to put them in the same hole. ;) I was shooting indoors with crappy lighting. I have no doubt that outdoors with good light I could shrink up the flyers.

I have never shot a group like that with Blazer or WWB through any of my guns, including my custom barreled 1911 9x19s. The groups I shoot with Blazers and the like are opened up to 2-3inches in a sporadic pattern at 25yds. With these loads I always get a nice circular pattern or cluster. That was the jist of my post. I havent shot this load at 50yds but when the snow melts I will be doing so!

DougC

Use at your own risk.... :ph34r::D

3.0ish grain VV 310, 1.130 OAL 147 head. I am currently using Precision Deltas and Zeros for bullets. Every gun is different, so start low with the powder and adjust accordingly. You can get into trouble fast with this combination if you dont pay attention, but it works sooooo well! Every time this load posts some people poo poo it, but if you do it right it is awesome. Take time and make sure your case has good tension, the OAL doesnt change, and dont overcrimp the bullet. It runs well through my XD, Beretta, and my STI 9x19.

Good luck,

DougC

I did check the picture, but was unable to make out the writing.

OK, thanks Doug. That's the combo I've been playing with in my HK. It does work well. I've just got to put it to a timer and see how it matches up to my current load.

ACtually, the picture says 3.1gr N310 ;) The left group are Precision Deltas, the right are Zeroes.

That's nice to know, but when I click the picture it only comes up to a size a little bigger than the thumb nail, and I'm not able to enlarge it. But hey thanks to both you and Doug for the info. You've been a big asset and help B)

Thanks again guys, and hopefully I'll run into you soon at a match Doug.

Jay

ACtually, the picture says 3.1gr N310 ;) The left group are Precision Deltas, the right are Zeroes.

That's nice to know, but when I click the picture it only comes up to a size a little bigger than the thumb nail, and I'm not able to enlarge it. But hey thanks to both you and Doug for the info. You've been a big asset and help B)

Thanks again guys, and hopefully I'll run into you soon at a match Doug.

Jay

Are you using IE? If so, it's probably fitting it to the size of your window. You should be able to zoom in (the image is f@#$ing HUGE! :D). Hover over the image with your mouse cursor and something will appear somewhere on the image (upper left or right, IIRC).