Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Versamax competition

I have one of the old green receiver competition models I've had for about 10 years. It's not been shot much and basically stock. I did have the lifter welded up but that's it. Occasionally there a shot gun type action match and I will grab this to shoot. It's my only gamer type shotgun. This evening it did fail to go into battery once. That seems to be the failure I have seen last couple times I've had it out. Ejects and Round sitting on lifter with the bolt nearly fully open. 

What all should I do to this gun? New recoil spring? Remelli Kit?  https://www.badgerridgeind.com/store/p132/VMAXBenKit.html

Is benny Hill at Triangle still an option? Or trade this in for something new?

I can't speak specifically to the VersaMax, as I limited experience with those, but with the 58/1100/11-87 family, the jam you describe is often due to a weak mag tube spring.

Those guns lock open during every cycle, then the impact of the new round into the Carrier Latch, which releases the bolt to travel back forward.

So the jam I experienced Monday I had loaded 11 in the gun. 2 stings of fire 5 rounds. 2nd string on the beep I got nothing. Buddy was standing there laughing saying I could see it was jammed.

The lifter had raised the shell up but not gone into battery. So I am assuming the shell hit the cut off lever and things were working but failed to chamber the round. I was thinking due to weak recoil spring. 

I assume putting the 45 on the cut off lever just helps it slide out of the way when a shell hits it? 

Using a trigger pull gauge the bolt will start to unlock under 5 pounds. Trigger is 6.75 pounds. Easier to rack the bolt than pull the trigger 🤣