Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beretta 1301 Comp pro not feeding

Hello I’m new to the forum and would like to get some help regarding my 1301 comp pro. 
just bought the shotgun replacing the 940 km pro and installed a Nordic tube, spring, cap and nut. 
I  cut my spring to proper size as per instructions and errored to the side of caution, left it a couple inches longer. 
My issue is when I took it to the range for a function check first 12 round ripped through it. The next 13 round every second or third round would fail to be pulled from the tube and lifted to be chambered. 
if I load a round in the breech and have rounds in the tube works until I run it dry but when I speed load the tube and try to chamber a round by engaging the charging handle the round in the tube fail to get on the lift and feed. Could it be that the spring is too tight? 
Any input would be greatly appreciated. 
thnk you in advance for any help you might be able to offer. 

Are you saying that with an empty chamber, when you put rounds into the magazine, then just pull the charging handle back and then release the charging handle, the bolt goes forward, and the rounds stay in the magazine?

The 1301 isn't like the 940, where just pulling the charging handle back and releasing it will feed a round from the magazine.  You have to press the shell release in the lifter in order for the magazine to feed a round onto the lifter, then pull and release the charging handle.

If you run the gun dry, and the bolt locks back, load a round through the ejection port, use the bolt release lever to chamber the round, then load the magazine.

How much of the magazine spring sticks out of the end of the tube with the end cap removed and the spring seated in the magazine follower with the follower fully forward?  I generally just cut mine so that 11-12 inches extends past the end of the tube.  What magazine extension tube are you using?  I tighten the extension tube nut/fore end nut onto the factory tube until tight, then screw the extension tube into the extension nut until it bottoms and then back it off about 1/8 of a turn and then tighten the barrel/tube clamp.  Then stick the magazine spring into the follower and run the follower up and down past the extension joint to verify it moves smoothly and doesn't catch at the joint.

Nolan

Nolan yes exactly,  my first time at the line when I ran it dry figured I only had to close the charging handle load the tube and pull back on the handle and release it to chamber another round as with the 940 but it wasn’t the case. 
So the shell release on the lifter is to pull up on the bolt release at the side correct?

I have approximately 16” of the spring sticking out the extension tube I’m using is a Nordic components one along with the nut and cap. 
Will try everything you suggest my concern with cutting the spring to 12” would be not enough tension. I will however take it down to 14” I do have an extra one, spring that is so will take it down. 
I am as mentioned a little puzzled as to the protocol of running the gun dry during a match (which one should avoid at all cost) how to get back in the game asap. Thus load chamber then load tube and we are good to go correct? 
thanks so for taking the time. 

Sounds like you didn't "prime" the lifter, this is common with new Beretta users.  I believe if you close the bolt and load the tube and chamber a round you get the behavior you describe.  If you load the chamber (instead of just closing the bolt) when you fire the trigger releases the next shell onto the lifter.  So if a stage requires you to start with an empty chamber you want to start with a shell on the lifter.  If you are storing the gun for defense with an empty chamber you probably want to do this also.  

And if you want the gun to lock open and it will not it is the same button, but only when the tube is empty, otherwise it will load a shell instead of locking open.

And don't feel bad, most people are like me and you and had to ask... 😁

And I do not think this is the problem, but if you installed a barrel clamp sometimes when everything is tight it will catch the follower on the way past the gap/kink.  Another thing I learned the hard way...

Shell Release.jpg

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, 1301gunner said:

So the shell release on the lifter is to pull up on the bolt release at the side correct?

No. If you do that you'll double feed the lifter and chaos will ensue. It's the little button in front of the trigger guard. 

If you run dry, use a matchsaver and continue as normal. If you've already used the matchsaver and go dry again, load as normal, swipe that button with the back of your thumb at the end of the last quad while snagging the charging handle with your index finger.

Edited by TonytheTiger