Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G17 gen 5 vs g47 gen 5 recoil and other questions

minnesota1

I was going to get the g17 gen 5 but saw the g47 which I hadn’t paid attention to before.  Does the g47 use g17 mags?  If you were going to use it in competition does one recoil more than the other?   I see the 47 has the g19 recoil spring so just curious.   Anything else about one vs the other you think I should know about?  I’ve always shot the g17 better than the g34.  Not sure why but I shoot it better and faster so the g34 is not an option.  

Thanks for you help!  

Same mags. If you want the MOS cut it's the 47, Glock isn't offering the 17 in the MOS anymore. As for recoil I can't tell any big deference, but I've only have 50 rounds out of the 47 and multi thousands out of the 17.  

16 hours ago, minnesota1 said:

I’ve always shot the g17 better than the g34.  Not sure why but I shoot it better and faster so the g34 is not an option.  

Some folks who are REALLY on the sights will experience this.

Long Sight Radius guns (24s, 17Ls, 34/35s) allow one to have a relatively sloppy sight picture and still make the hit.  The down side of this is that it is harder to obtain a perfect sight picture (even a slight twitch will kill the perfection). 

Folks who can accept a sloppy sight picture will shoot a longer gun better than a shorter one.  Folks who demand perfection will shoot a long gun slower than a short gun because they spend too much time trying to achieve it.

I tell people all the time: "With a G17L or a 24, get the front sight somewhere in the same ZIP Code as the rear sight notch and then try to not whack the trigger too hard.  The shot will be there....".

Hello MN1 (not in TX) - 

I posted this a bit ago that might help: 

Shoot me a message and I can share any other details you might want to know.