Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Permitted modifications in CO

I’m going to shoot CO nationals and since I mostly shoot open or limited optics, I’m a bit confused as to what is allowed in terms of modifications in CO. 

I plan to use a Beretta 92X, and I have one (black grips in the picture) where the slide stop has been replaced by an enlarged one that serves as a thumb rest. Looking at D7 21.6 it looks like this is allowed? 

By the same token, I have another 92X (right side in the picture) where the takedown lever has been replaced by one with a more rounded contour that provided a more comfortable surface for the forward thumb to rest up against. The original takedown lever is very sharp and hurts under recoil. I do not see any specific mentions of takedown levers being allowed as modifications, except maybe for “pins” in D7 21.6. So I’m not sure if that one is allowed? 

I have attached a picture of the two guns in question. I would, of course, remove the magwells from them for the match.

image0.thumb.jpeg.15b92d700dae1e0c5df002f50cb676b1.jpeg

Edited by crsuribe

With the magwells removed, both of those are legal for CO.  Takedown levels are considered small external parts and lots of folks use that one on the right.  I have never seen the larger one on the left, but there is no provision limiting the size of the replacement slide stop.

Question, what holster are you using?  Race holsters are not legal in CO.  The holster must cover the slide up to 1/2" below the ejection port.  I have seen kydex holsters that accommodate the one on the right.  

Also remember that CO is the width of the overlay (2 1/8") for the distance of the grips from the outside surface of the belt.  Open and LO use the length of the overlay (3 3/8"), so the pistol will need to be closer to your belt than the race divisions.

43 minutes ago, JodiH said:

With the magwells removed, both of those are legal for CO.  Takedown levels are considered small external parts and lots of folks use that one on the right.  I have never seen the larger one on the left, but there is no provision limiting the size of the replacement slide stop.

Question, what holster are you using?  Race holsters are not legal in CO.  The holster must cover the slide up to 1/2" below the ejection port.  I have seen kydex holsters that accommodate the one on the right.  

Also remember that CO is the width of the overlay (2 1/8") for the distance of the grips from the outside surface of the belt.  Open and LO use the length of the overlay (3 3/8"), so the pistol will need to be closer to your belt than the race divisions.

Hydra P on a T1000 hanger should work and it’s certainly within the width of an overlay. 

The magwell will be removed, I just keep forgetting to do it but will do so before I start practicing hard with this setup. 

image1.jpeg

adjutomatic holster, all that add on gadgets, not a single stock part required out side the frame, huge thumb break "take down lever" and its the mag funnel on a 25 round gun, thats probably stock, that's the rules problem..

24 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

adjutomatic holster, all that add on gadgets, not a single stock part required out side the frame, huge thumb break "take down lever" and its the mag funnel on a 25 round gun, thats probably stock, that's the rules problem..

Like it or not, most people modify their carry guns. Even cops extensively modify their duty guns more and more these days... there are people carrying guns with compensators and ported barrels more and more, look at all the staccatos with 2lb triggers, mag wells, compensators, match barrels and 24rd magazines... if "practical" sports shooting doesn't stay practical, then what is the incentive for people to join and get involved? We can't just count on nostalgia from people who want to shoot guns the way they were 10 years ago...

4 hours ago, crsuribe said:

Like it or not, most people modify their carry guns. Even cops extensively modify their duty guns more and more these days... there are people carrying guns with compensators and ported barrels more and more, look at all the staccatos with 2lb triggers, mag wells, compensators, match barrels and 24rd magazines... if "practical" sports shooting doesn't stay practical, then what is the incentive for people to join and get involved? We can't just count on nostalgia from people who want to shoot guns the way they were 10 years ago...

you completely miss the point. 

Point is,, of all that stuff on the gun, the  funnel,, which is probably stock, and pretty much meaningless, is the only part thats not allowed.

11 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

you completely miss the point. 

Point is,, of all that stuff on the gun, the  funnel,, which is probably stock, and pretty much meaningless, is the only part thats not allowed.

The magwell isn't stock but yeah some P320's come with magwells which also aren't allowed and have to be removed

1 hour ago, crsuribe said:

The magwell isn't stock but yeah some P320's come with magwells which also aren't allowed and have to be removed

quite a few guns do, and quite a few have flared frames.. I just find it ridiculous thats where the line is drawn.. 

3 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

quite a few guns do, and quite a few have flared frames.. I just find it ridiculous thats where the line is drawn.. 

Yeah that's pretty silly and arbitratry

• 2 weeks later...