Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Small spot focused. Losing accuracy, disappointed.

So I feel as though I am shooting target focused 80% of the time or more. I drift on and off the dot on harder shots. Recently ive been working on small spot focused. Look at a small spot on the target and when the dot comes into view fire the round.  Im struggling since I started ‘trying’ to focus on a small spot it’s really eating up a lot of my focus and is actually causing me to be less accurate. I kind of feel like I am point shooting. Ive also had some trouble calling the shots because I usually call my shots based off of feel. 

Its likely that I am sometimes point shooting and not even seeing the dot.

Is it normal to have worse accuracy when transitioning to small spot focused? I get it, it’s harder to see a small spot and focus on that than it is to see a whole target. I feel like before I was focused on the down zero or A zone rather than a whole target. But really reducing my aiming point has been challenging because it’s eating up my mental resources. Well at least I know where to focus my training next. 

Very recognizable, man...

I had a similar experience. 

I'm in the situation that when the kids and wife are not in the living room, I use that for dry fire. (about three times a week for about 15 to 20 minutes... wish it was daily, but I'm too lazy for that....)

I use IPSC mini and micro targets (IPSC rifle targets) and I have a black paster in the middle of every a-zone. 

I create 'stages' and do different drills with my dot occluded. So not just targets on a wall in front of me, but targets throughout the living room where I actually have to move to see them. (enabling me to also incorporate drills with extensive movements)

Been doing that for approximately 1.5 months and it "seems" to be getting better...  

when I live fire, I do not occlude the dot, and I feel more comfortable with it. Accuracy is okay, at least not worse, and I 'believe' I am actually looking at the center of the A zone, although it remains challenging. 

I believe just "sticking with it" will eventually make it better and ingrain it as your (and my) "default setting".

I think I will incorporate the occlusion during live fire every now and then as well... because things are different when an explosion goes off in front of your face...

Edited by WFargo

I’ve been doing something similar and I also don’t occlude the dot. I haven’t felt the need yet. I’ve been considering setting targets up on the wall like I did last year when practicing transitions and movement. I think in an attempt to not over confirm im under confirming. I bet setting up targets like you will help me find a balance. Im pretty good at self diagnoses for the most part. I just haven’t quite got this down. 

On target transitions I've observed that sometimes even if I am staring a hole in the target exactly where I want to shoot, it can lead to me underconfirming (firing when I start to see my red dot enter the target vs waiting until it reaches the spot I'm trying to hit). Because the cue to fire changed for me from looking at the dot and waiting until it is centered, to looking at the target and waiting for it to appear, it's taken me some getting used to in order to have the right timing.

23 hours ago, Runswithwood1 said:

It seems like for me anyways, the more I try to focus on a small spot, the more likely I am to lose the fundamentals, dunno why but when I just point and shoot instinctively I do much better. 

Learning something different uses up more resources that we sacrifice for the time being. The stuff you know might go out the window for a short time. 

On 4/12/2024 at 8:26 PM, Eyesquared said:

On target transitions I've observed that sometimes even if I am staring a hole in the target exactly where I want to shoot, it can lead to me underconfirming (firing when I start to see my red dot enter the target vs waiting until it reaches the spot I'm trying to hit). Because the cue to fire changed for me from looking at the dot and waiting until it is centered, to looking at the target and waiting for it to appear, it's taken me some getting used to in order to have the right timing.

I think you’re right, I think I’m pulling the trigger as soon as the dot enters my peripherals. I’ll record myself next time and see if I can pick something up. 

The thing that really seemed to drive this home was working transitions with mixed USPSA open targets and minipoppers. With both placed at equal distances the steel will require more confirmation, but not a dramatically different amount if you are really trying to hit A-zone on the paper.

You may want to try looking at this from a different angle--

Always pick out a small spot on the target.

THEN... you have several options for 'acceptable sight picture' (aka "confirmation" or "type"), ranging from 'any red anywhere and mash the trigger' on a close, wide-open target to 'dot somewhere in the vicinity of my spot' to 'dot stopped solidly on my spot and a smooth trigger press' on a hard partial.

Choose which of those to use based on the difficulty of the shot.  Sort out what works for you with lots of experimentation in live and dry fire.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, shred said:

You may want to try looking at this from a different angle--

Always pick out a small spot on the target.

THEN... you have several options for 'acceptable sight picture' (aka "confirmation" or "type"), ranging from 'any red anywhere and mash the trigger' on a close, wide-open target to 'dot somewhere in the vicinity of my spot' to 'dot stopped solidly on my spot and a smooth trigger press' on a hard partial.

Choose which of those to use based on the difficulty of the shot.  Sort out what works for you with lots of experimentation in live and dry fire.

Im pretty sure I’m only doing the first part and this is my problem. Basically I’m seeing the dot while looking at my spot and smashing the trigger. Or as you put it “any red anywhere”. I like the way you put it, I’ll practice all three and dial in the accuracy. I fully understand what you’re saying. Because I’m just starting to try this, I thought just smash the trigger when you see red since I’am focused on a small spot. I realize that’s not good probably when I’m more than 5 yard away right now. 

I’ll figure this out, thanks for your input. 

Edited by Twilk73

2 hours ago, Twilk73 said:

Im pretty sure I’m only doing the first part and this is my problem. Basically I’m seeing the dot while looking at my spot and smashing the trigger. Or as you put it “any red anywhere”. I like the way you put it, I’ll practice all three and dial in the accuracy. I fully understand what you’re saying. Because I’m just starting to try this, I thought just smash the trigger when you see red since I’am focused on a small spot. I realize that’s not good probably when I’m more than 5 yard away right now. 

Yeah, somebody like Stoeger can get away with it out to 15+ yards because he's done a million reps, but for normies, that's going to get sub-optimal results.  Try setting up a target at 3-5 yards and do pseudo-bill drills or doubles on it.  Do a string or two, using one confirmation, tape and check times, do it again with the next confirmation type, tape and compare times and hits, do it again with the third, tape and compare times and hits.  Then move the target back to 7, 10, 15 yards and compare

I've been working though this as well with my return to the sport.

Twilk - Shred is on target 😉

I dropped points a few times and had uncalled rounds in hardcover...etc.  Working through this in dry fire and starting to see the results after a couple of months.  Points are getting better and I shot a match "clean" ( No Mikes, Noshoots or hardcover...) Last night.

Just keep working, it gets better. 😃

Edit: Do try occluding the dot.  Painters tape works great.  It makes it REALLY obvious if your are  target focused or the  looking at the dot. 🙃 

Edited by Chutist