Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to 38SC

Atlas33

Welcome to the 38 super (comp) club.  It is a great cartridge and easy to reload.  And you have lots of no-drama powder choices. 
Both of those are good powders.  I’ve tried a lot of different powders over the years but keep coming back to AA7. Fairly cheap, usually available, and safe.  Ran it back in the 175pf days with loads going 180++pf with 124 or 130gr bullets with no pressure issues.

115gr jacketed is what I like best by a slim margin, but 124gr jacketed is also very good and match results are the same for me with either so I use what I got.

23 hours ago, Bamboo said:

Welcome to the 38 super (comp) club.  It is a great cartridge and easy to reload.  And you have lots of no-drama powder choices. 
Both of those are good powders.  I’ve tried a lot of different powders over the years but keep coming back to AA7. Fairly cheap, usually available, and safe.  Ran it back in the 175pf days with loads going 180++pf with 124 or 130gr bullets with no pressure issues.

115gr jacketed is what I like best by a slim margin, but 124gr jacketed is also very good and match results are the same for me with either so I use what I got.

I appreciate the insight (and from the others).  #7 is a common that keeps being tossed my way so I grabbed some today.  I’m really torn between the two weights but I was leaning towards the 115.  I just see majority runs 124 so I didn’t know if there was something I was missing or if the 115 was a no go lol.  

11 grains of A7 behind a 124 landed me at 1360fps in my gun.  Pretty soft shooting.  9.6gr of 3n38 produced the same results but felt a little more violent. Both dot tracked very similar to one another.  Going to do a little more research today on cleanliness.  

Just received my SPS Vista Long in .38.

My first reload batch to try was 8.5 grain 3N38 with LOS 123gr RNCP. Average speed was 1250fps. Next try will be with 9.0 grain to get up to PF. But is already shoots nicely. Btw I use Starline brass, OAL 32.00 mm