Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ SAO vs DA/SA converted to SAO

drnls

Just purchased Shadow 2 sao and I'm liking it a lot. But I want to try a red dot. If I purchase a optics ready Shadow 2 and convert it to single action will the trigger be comparable to an OEM single action model? I know the single action model slide can be cut but I'd rather keep it factory and lose the money on a new model.  I can do the conversion. 

Thanks, Nelson 

4 hours ago, drnls said:

If I purchase an optics ready Shadow 2 and convert it to single action will the trigger be comparable to an OEM single action model?

Yes. And you can make it better or more personalized depending on trigger/parts choices and your budget. 

12 hours ago, drnls said:

Just purchased Shadow 2 sao and I'm liking it a lot. But I want to try a red dot. If I purchase a optics ready Shadow 2 and convert it to single action will the trigger be comparable to an OEM single action model? I know the single action model slide can be cut but I'd rather keep it factory and lose the money on a new model.  I can do the conversion. 

Thanks, Nelson 

A single action conversion is relatively simple, as long as you can detail strip the frame to the point to remove the trigger. I like this Cajun gun works SAO trigger, as it has pre and post travel set screws to eliminate any creep and over travel as much as possible. All you have to do is remove the disconnector and your gun will be single action only. I also recommend CGW's floating trigger pin, it makes reinstalling a trigger so much easier than the stock roll pin. Depending on your budget, I would consider replacing the hammer while you're in there. Don't forget to set up your other CZ the same way, welcome to the rabbit hole! 🤣

To convert an S2 to SAO only requires a new trigger shoe. All you have to do is replace the curved trigger with a Tactical Sport trigger. You don't need to change the hammer or remove any of the DA parts. If you want to put race parts in you can but the SAO trigger will function better if you set up the race parts with a disco. 

SP01redux.jpg.0ca930332404a9a1fd781a864f3341bd.jpg

On 3/4/2024 at 6:02 AM, 858 said:

If you want to put race parts in you can but the SAO trigger will function better if you set up the race parts with a disco.

How is that?  Even CGW recommends removing the disco.

6 hours ago, ES13Raven said:

How is that?  Even CGW recommends removing the disco.

The disco sets pre-travel. Without out it you're relying on a janky set screw that moves or change shapes. You can hand fit a CGW disco or buy a factory Pre B disco from CZC. I've done all three, the set screw is not optimal. 

35 minutes ago, 858 said:

The disco sets pre-travel. Without out it you're relying on a janky set screw that moves or change shapes. You can hand fit a CGW disco or buy a factory Pre B disco from CZC. I've done all three, the set screw is not optimal. 

Would that depend on the SAO trigger style? There are several that have the release point farther forward (CZ SAO model) and some have the release point farther back (CGW flat).

22 hours ago, ES13Raven said:

Would that depend on the SAO trigger style? There are several that have the release point farther forward (CZ SAO model) and some have the release point farther back (CGW flat).

The disco attaches to the hammer, not the trigger. If the CGW trigger shoe functions with the stock trigger bar and hammer then it will function with the disco too. I don't know why CGW recommends removing the disco, CZC SAO trigger jobs keep the disco. Like I said, I've done it both ways.

Read CGW's description for their disconnector: https://cajungunworks.com/product/1488-t5-shadow-2-disconnector/

Reduces single action pre-travel as effectively as a hand fitted disco in the Shadow 1 & 2.  This new part will greatly ease the process of getting the S-1/2’s pre-travel down to the lowest possible level.

Edited by 858

7 hours ago, ES13Raven said:

On the CZ Shadow 2 SA # 91245 - how do they have SA configured?  Disconnector or no?

The SA works the same with or without the disco. The disco is fit to reduce pre-travel/take up in SA. Remove the disco and you will need a SA trigger with both pre and over travel screws. 

The basic function of the disco are two things.

In the DA pull it rises (and trigger bar drops) until it comes off the trigger bar and releases the hammer. It also limits trigger take-up after the slide cycles and the hammer hooks are caught on the sear. In SA the trigger bar pushes the sear up and releases the hammer. 

A gun set up with the disco can have as equally short and light SA as one with it removed. 

If you are going to shoot LO the only advantage to having DA is if one gets a light strike. You can pull the trigger a second time and see if the cartridge will ignite. In SA only one must rack and feed a new round in.

Your choice what you want out of your gun.

Here's an old thread on it, notice SA works the same, disco or not. Also the SA trigger has two travel adjustment screws.

On 3/6/2024 at 8:39 PM, 858 said:

So with an SAO trigger and disco, you don’t need the pre-travel set screw? Only the over-travel?

8 hours ago, ES13Raven said:

So with an SAO trigger and disco, you don’t need the pre-travel set screw? Only the over-travel?

True. Since you still have DA the trigger has to come forward and the disco, properly fit, determines pre-travel. 

Generally stock discos have a lot of pre-travel and this is why CGW, CZC, and others sell discos. The problem is it may not drop in and run SA properly. This is where fitting comes in. It is also why some do away with it and use SA only the trigger with the screws. Easy to set pre-travel. 

18 hours ago, ES13Raven said:

Correct. Fitting a CGW disco is easy. The Pre-B disco is a drop in part. I honestly can't tell the difference between the hand fit disco and the drop in Pre-B disco. By the time you adjust the set screws so the pistol functions reliably you may as well use the disco. Also, the set screws have to be glued in or they back out or back in. If they back in your pistol will stop working. The pre travel set screw sucks. CZC used to post about it here year back.