Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revolver? Die on the vine?

-JCN-

It’s really fun to see good people work. 

Deconstructing his build process as he goes along is fun for me. 

He said he was enjoying the project because it’s a little different than what he normally does. 

I love learning as empowerment. That’s why if I have the time, I like giving things a try if I have the tools (or if the tools are sufficiently cheap). 

Bringing the snowblower in and bringing it home plus repair costs… it’s pretty similar to the time and money I spent on it, I think.  

But… if it broke during the Winter and I needed to repair it in 24 hours before a storm, I’m confident I could do this sort of repair faster and more efficiently next time. 

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, -JCN- said:

IMG_3077.thumb.png.7583823c76fb9caff5526a9c5d20cd30.png

Looking good! Is that level or is it just look sloped in the pic? If it rains a lot in your area don’t forget about drainage. 

2 hours ago, Farmer said:

Looking good! Is that level or is it just look sloped in the pic? If it rains a lot in your area don’t forget about drainage. 

IMG_3080.thumb.png.220b9129a9451dcd21c1ff1e971afbec.png

It’s sloped a few degrees. I’m having to defer to their expertise to prevent it from being a mud bog. Drainage was pretty good before. There was talk before about doing drain tiling but we might see how it goes. 

1 hour ago, -JCN- said:

IMG_3080.thumb.png.220b9129a9451dcd21c1ff1e971afbec.png

It’s sloped a few degrees. I’m having to defer to their expertise to prevent it from being a mud bog. Drainage was pretty good before. There was talk before about doing drain tiling but we might see how it goes. 

Excellent! 👍  It looks like you have a very good man working for you. Now days that’s hard to find. Some of those larger clubs could take lessons. 

2 hours ago, Farmer said:

Excellent! 👍  It looks like you have a very good man working for you. Now days that’s hard to find. Some of those larger clubs could take lessons. 

It was word of mouth! The neighbor farmer worked with the guy who did the original dirt work and when I asked him about follow up upgrades he recommended this young guy. 

IMG_3087.thumb.png.0b1434277c49a1553ba06f27815a72ca.png

I have been fairly unproductive these two weeks off. Especially this week with my daughter off school.

Didn’t get much done off the list, but did get a lot of bonding time with my daughter so that’s something. 

She said multiple times, unprompted: “Daddy… I love you.”

When my wife and I were in school/training, we had a pet cat together. We used to have this saying that the cat did not care about any of [the stress/s#!t that was going on in our lives]. 

It was a grounding reminder that the people who love and support do not care about the little stuff that we sometimes think are big deals. It’s kind of a version of don’t sweat the small stuff.

It is easy to get sucked in to stuff that ultimately does not matter, and it affects our ability to be present and emotionally available for the things that actually do matter.

Something annoying happened at the indoor range when V and I were there the other day. I was in a mood and crabby. Instead of being calm, I escalated and behaved like a pissy adolescent. 

We talked about changing indoor ranges, but people are going to be people.

Regarding people’s behavior, frowny face escalation usually does not result in any lasting behavioral change.

So if the actual goal is to improve behavior, getting them to let down their defensiveness for them to acknowledge when they didn’t do an adequate job or could’ve done better is usually more effective.

But to do it without a frowny face because that just short circuits most peoples brains. 

Of course, some people are beyond salvage, but even in those situations a frowny face does not help and hurts your mental health more than it improves anything in the situation.

In those cases, a neutral and factual request above their pay grade usually works better. 

I don’t think I’ve ever had a situation where spazzing out and going full Karen has helped things more than being kind and pleasant. Full Karen can get some immediate short-term results, but usually not worth it in terms of mental health decrement.

Ultimately having people on your side is the gift that keeps on giving rather than the poison that continues to sicken everybody.

Spazzing out isn’t consistent with finding solutions. Selfish and inconsiderate people are probably my biggest pet peeves and I have to be careful not to overreact and continue to have my eye on finding solutions.

That’s my talk therapy to myself this morning, I feel better and will let it go.

Good reinforcement. 

Got an apology call today from the manager of the indoor range and I was nice and not frowny. 

We came up with solutions and communicated nicely. 

Got something done this vacation…

Replugged wires that got pulled out of the harness. 

IMG_3091.thumb.jpeg.8bc25018e8a56aad5847faaa26d974f6.jpeg

Final reassembly and tightening. 

IMG_3093.thumb.jpeg.3aeb6c61b7914c06fc61c8af2e7659b5.jpeg

Daughter came out and kept me company. I had her give me the final test thumbs up to let me know the impeller worked. Important (IMO) to include her in the problem solving process. 

IMG_3094.thumb.jpeg.9e91c04d9bb2cd1fb0da7620d2baf93e.jpeg

I get a bunch of glasses from $39 glasses. They have my rx on file and I’ll just stock up sacrificial glasses to stow in cars and bags. 

Two pair of the thinner lenses glasses for $120 total. 

Kind of like the Subaru, I am not much into paying for fashion without added function. I couldn’t give a crap about “designer brands” without a performance advantage. 

7 hours ago, -JCN- said:

IMG_3094.thumb.jpeg.9e91c04d9bb2cd1fb0da7620d2baf93e.jpeg

I get a bunch of glasses from $39 glasses. They have my rx on file and I’ll just stock up sacrificial glasses to stow in cars and bags. 

Two pair of the thinner lenses glasses for $120 total. 

Kind of like the Subaru, I am not much into paying for fashion without added function. I couldn’t give a crap about “designer brands” without a performance advantage. 

Are those pretty decent? Eyeglasses are the biggest ripoff on the planet! I only need one lens with prescription and the other is plain but the optometrist charged me the same for both lenses. Getting really tired of being screwed without even a kiss. 

5 hours ago, Farmer said:

Are those pretty decent? Eyeglasses are the biggest ripoff on the planet! I only need one lens with prescription and the other is plain but the optometrist charged me the same for both lenses. Getting really tired of being screwed without even a kiss. 

I’ve been using the company as my primary regular eyeglass provider for probably 8+ years and have no complaints. I cannot tell any difference in quality. 

IMG_3117.thumb.png.426ba382a7ab7d08334cc20fd13acacc.png

Access road is graveled up. Only fabric and gravel to be laid down on the range. 

Daughter wants to plant wildflower seeds on the sides of the berm which will be beautiful. 

V is a gardener so she’s going to help with that. 

I shot a match with V and I didn’t respect the process that I had carved out in Colorado so no surprise that I didn’t execute the way I wanted to. 

I had a couple decent stages but some semi-dumpster fires. 

One of my proud moments was a stomp pad reload. 

V had a very good match on stages that required more deliberate engagement pace. She’s still pulling off on some of the moving doubles but the recoil control is improving. 

She beat a lot of people on this stage, myself included. Very good entry index and good trigger presses which is a strength of hers. 

So I was playing with speed loader reloads and was having an issue with cross angle binding due to grip interference. 

IMG_3152.thumb.jpeg.6d14478159e3e862e2000d9854e0087a.jpeg

That’s a no go for good ergos. 

Clearanced the grip with a Dremel. 

IMG_3155.thumb.jpeg.1a66659d5f88ea5d72ec81ac64f4f443.jpeg

I was amazed at how much better the loading was. I didn’t realize that if you have good seating you don’t have to hit the release. It’s pretty fast. 

Posted (edited)

"hit the release"?

I didn't realize there's some other release but the thing in the middle that hits the back of the cylinder.

Edited by perttime

17 minutes ago, perttime said:

"hit the release"?

I didn't realize there's some other release but the thing in the middle that hits the back of the cylinder.

I’m new to speed loaders so I had assumed that I had to hit this button on the back of the loader to release the cartridges, but that’s not the case as I’m learning. 

IMG_3164.thumb.jpeg.545384974b14dc2e5b3dd0db1357d653.jpeg

Man, getting old isn’t for the faint of heart. 

I got lazy with my forearm PT and really paid the price in soreness and tendinitis. 

Really have to do it every day. At this stage in my life it’s more important than dry fire because I really can’t do any live fire or matches if the tendinitis gets bad. 

3 hours ago, -JCN- said:

Man, getting old isn’t for the faint of heart. 

I got lazy with my forearm PT and really paid the price in soreness and tendinitis. 

Really have to do it every day. At this stage in my life it’s more important than dry fire because I really can’t do any live fire or matches if the tendinitis gets bad. 

Just wait 15 more years when you can predict the weather. 🤣

1 hour ago, Farmer said:

Just wait 15 more years when you can predict the weather. 🤣

I told my daughter that my financial support and time spent on her is a loan, not a gift… :D I remind her daily that she’s responsible for changing my diapers when I’m older. 

Range continues to come along…

IMG_3169.thumb.png.106ab64261bac97240dce0494fe6ecc8.png

8 hours ago, -JCN- said:

I told my daughter that my financial support and time spent on her is a loan, not a gift… :D I remind her daily that she’s responsible for changing my diapers when I’m older. 

Range continues to come along…

IMG_3169.thumb.png.106ab64261bac97240dce0494fe6ecc8.png

😆😅 And she’ll feed you strained carrots. 
Range is looking really nice! 
I’m jealous. 😄 What type of gravel are they using? Our gravel is all basalt black rock. Don’t think I’ve seen Tan other than decorative landscaping rock. Should be a little bit cooler in the summer but might make finding brass more difficult.🤔

Posted (edited)

Having an SAO trigger on the Alien has hurt my trigger presses. When I used the S2 I would do a lot of DA presses in dry. These days I don’t and it’s starting to show. 

So I had some motivation to dust off the revolver and work on trigger presses and some speed loader ergos. Indexing the reloading thumb to 6 o’clock seems to work well. 

I also think I might practice some PCCO and RFRO for Steel Challenge before my good scores expire. 

Edited by -JCN-

IMG_3177.thumb.png.9dfcddba90db3c1828864f44b337cca8.png

I like looking at the build process, it helps me learn what goes into it (without pestering the builder). 

It will also help me troubleshoot and maintain later. 

Looks like the whole 25x50 yard bay will have fabric under gravel. I wasn’t sure if it was just going to be the 25x25 berm area. 

I was joking to a buddy that the whole entire land purchase plus the range construction… is still less than the cost of a remodeled bathroom in our house.